Sometimes too afraid to crank it on......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by autumn09, Mar 23, 2015.

1. autumn09

autumn09 Member

Ok so i have a issue. I have quite a few nice boutique amps as I'm sure we all do (love them) take one of my fav. the Bogner shiva EL34 Reverb it has some serious glass wear in side (for the lame = Tubes).

I tend to never play it as i am conscious of breaking it or wearing down the tubes or bring on an unexpected fault or so forth....

(So)

How rugged and tough are these things... naturally depending on makers and build etc. but a quality tube amp (like the Shiva) am i ok to run it regularly or daily for a hour on end etc? :huh

How hard to do you s play and run you're amps.......:omg

2. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

Don't be afraid of using nice amps. They're made to be used. If the tubes eventually wear out the replace them. you can blow speakers if they're not made for the power, but as long as can handle it, you can crank an amp right up. I've played my amps near full tilt quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. sleewell

sleewell Member

Only on tgp would this thread exist.

It's meant to be cranked. Enjoy the volume and just have some fun.

4. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Amps get better the more they're played. Tubes wear out, so do light bulbs. No biggie. It's a lot cheaper than motor sports or skiing or most other hobbies I can think of.

5. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

6. NortheastHick

7. NortheastHick

I am a TGP'er, I have a 6 watt handwired Non master volume Marshall clone in my TGP approved music room/man cave. Then I stack od's and use attenuators until it is so quiet that I could play in a hospital and not even bother my roommate. We are scared of volume here..Please turn it down sonny..

8. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Stop worrying and turn that amp up and enjoy. :dude
    I have Mullard XF-2 EL-34 tubes powering my JMP 2204. I play it loud often. ;)

9. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

Although not cranked, my Flexi's master is permanently set at 01.30. It is not quiet. It's been set there since 2009. I still have the same tubes in it - no sign of failure - catastrophic or otherwise.

10. gigs

gigs Member

PM'd my shipping address to you. Please ship your amps, well packed and insured. In return, I will slowly, methodically break in your amps to proper volume levels, including gigs at dive bars for testing and verification purposes. Keep in mind, this will take several years and your amps may smell like stale beer and cigarettes upon their eventual return.

11. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Is this for real?

For the lame = crank that bitch up

12. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

My brain wanted me to write exactly that.

:rotflmao

13. e???

e??? Member

I worry a little bit when cranking my amps to the max, but not too much. I play my new Supro Thunderbolt sometimes for hours a day at loud band levels, and while the fact that it gets really hot in back worries me a bit, they are made to do this. What kind of credibility would Bogner get if running their amps a lot or loud made them break down or sound worse? Not much, and I don't think that's the case because a lot of people really like them. I think you have a really nice amp, don't be afraid to play it a lot or run it loud. And if the very worst should happen, it just doesn't work one day, that's what amp techs are for. Life is short man, play that awesome amp!

14. garret

garret Member

:BluesBros

Did I read the OP as saying he has lots of boutique amps, insulting tone, and too afraid to crank his precious amps?

Everyone look at him and let him know how awesome he is.

Wow, kids these days

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  15. ggve

ggve Member

So do you take your shoes in the hands and walk the streets on your socks?

16. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Well, it is a Bogner after all.

17. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

This thread kind of leaves me speechless. Well obviously not I'm posting....

So you have nice amps and are afraid of using them because your afraid you'll hurt the tubes? It's like buying a sports car and never driving it because your afraid the tires will wear out. So let's just save you time:

Yes- Your "serious glass" is going to fail at some point. So will you. So will the Sun and Moon. So will the Universe. It will all fail at some point. The survival rate of everything in existence on a long enough timeline is Zero. Including your "glass".

Really man, don't make an existentixal crisis out of this. Just play the f$&!ing things. Or sell them to someone who will.

18. jlb32

jlb32 Member

I hear this same thing with some that have expensive guitars. Afraid to play them. They might get a scratch or a ding and hurt their resale value so they end up sitting in their cases unplayed only appearing occasionally so the owner can look at them for a few minutes before putting them back in their cases.

Music gear as collectibles overall are horrible investments. If you spend your hard earned money on gear at least freaking enjoy it before you die.

19. jb's 52

jb's 52 Member

These poor amps are emotionally isolated and feel unwanted.
    If you don't get cranking on 'em they will die of atrophy and neglect.

20. donthasslethehoff

donthasslethehoff Member

I don't even crank my modelers, for fear of running out of 0's and 1's