Sometimes you get lucky. Introducing my Soldano SLO100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnnyjellybean, Oct 4, 2008.

1. johnnyjellybean

johnnyjellybean Member

This is the 3rd time I am the owner of SLO#008 amp having sold it twice and this time, it will go to the grave with me. It is the SLO from the 1st NAMM show Mike attended in 1987 when Mike introduced his amps to the world. It is also the SLO pictured in all the early advertising in Guitar Player mag etc. It is the one in the big framed picture behind Mike's desk in his office. It has the chrome tranny endbells and the chrome metal logo. These early amps have a special mojo thanks to a slightly different routing of the signal even though the components are the same as 1990 and up. (The routing and the physical placement of the components on the circuit board is different) It was originally sold to Aldo Nova in 1987 after the canadian MEAC show and I bought it from Aldo in 1988. (He regrets selling it to this day) I used it for 8 years and it travelled around 1/2 the world with me doing 150 to 250 dates per year before selling it the 1st time .
    I am lucky to have it with me again since the 1st time I sold it , was to a collector in California (I'm in Montreal) and after having terrible seller's remorse , a month later I asked him to sell it back and he refused. After calling him several times over the course of a year and offering him $500 more than he paid, he told me "I'll never sell it...it's staying in my collection!" Well 3 years later I got a call from a friend of mine in Ottawa Ontario asking me ..."wasn't your SLO serial number #008? Well it's on Ebay!" I freaked ! I logged on and used "buy it now" and bought it back for $200 less than I sold it for!! The last time I sold it was 3 years ago. I was hard up for some cash and actually traded it for a 68 Les Paul Custom which I did extremely well with and didn't look back. Just recently ,I decided to call the guy I traded with, asking him about the amp and he told me he had sold it to a local collector about a year ago and that he didn't have any idea how to contact the new owner . About 6 weeks ago, I put an ad on a local internet site looking for the guy and got a response from some guy who had sold him another amp. I got his contact info, called him and low and behold we struck a deal and I got it back for about the same thing I paid the last time. I've had it now again for a little over 1 month and I am completely stoked. Every time I walk into the guitar room here at the studio, a big smile appears on my face! It's like seeing an old friend again. Incidently, it sounds every bit as good as it ever did!

[​IMG]

2. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Crazy man!! Nice case you found for it!

I bought this one off ebay>

[​IMG]

The auction ended on Christmas eve. Reserve was $1,750 I bid $2,000 on it, the auction didn't even make reserve :messedup so I didn't win it. I emailed the guy and he said he would sell it for his reserve of $1,750.

It's a 2004 and I kept it a year or two and then put it on ebay with no reserve expecting it would go to $2,200 or so :knitting ..... it didn't and I had to sell it for $1,950 :cry: (After 12 hours, you can't cancel or change your auction). Oh well, it was a good amp :)

3. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

wOW!!

Cool... VERY cool story!
    Glad it all worked out for you.
    Just goes to show you, it's a very small circle
    of people when it comes to the high end gear!

Keith

4. johnnyjellybean

johnnyjellybean Member

That one is the original shell. It's diamond back, not boa like all the rest. The red one it's in now is just so I can move it around without worrying about dinging it. I wanted to go to black to match all the other amps in the studio but at this point I am leaning towards leaving it in the red shell.

[​IMG]

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

AWESOME store indeed! Congrats!!!

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Cool story Steve. You must sound amazing through an SLO. :AOK

7. GasMask

GasMask Member

Good Story! Don't sell it next time :nono

The SLO is such a great amp- one of my fav's!

8. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

How much do you want fot it?

Just kidding:AOK

Seriously though, congrats o finding your amp again. That is one amp I would love to own.

9. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Chrome Deyoungs just like in my early SLO.

10. johnnyjellybean

johnnyjellybean Member

What number was yours? If it had factory chrome Deyoungs, it had to be one of the 1st 10.

11. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

So that would be about 1000 shows blasting April Wine tunes through it ? ;)

Way cool it came back home :dude

12. johnnyjellybean

johnnyjellybean Member

Actually about half of those shows(2 1/2 years of 200+ shows) were with a band from Paris ,France called Niagara. I did 22 countries across the pond playing with them

13. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Yes it would be. I also own SLO1BMF which is the best slo I have ever played including the my old rackmounts.

14. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Great story Great Amp are you still gigging with it??

15. FeloniousBishop

FeloniousBishop Member

I used to own an early one. I bought mine from a dealer advertised in Vintage Guitar Maazine (in the 90s).

I loved the amp but after owning it some time I needed cash so I called the dealer back looking to sell. He said the guy who sold it had really regretted it and wanted it back so I sold the amp and he got his amp back I was told the guy was really happy about it.

I still miss the amp though, it's probably the only amp I ever regretted selling.

16. johnnyjellybean

johnnyjellybean Member

It now resides fulltime in the guitar room at my studio.