1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Somewhat unusual wiring scheme??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Killa-B, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I am putting together a project guitar and need some suggestions/ideas how to wire the pickups.

The guitar will have a neck 4 conductor HB, a strat type middle, and a bridge P-90. The guitar will have 2 knob locations and either a 3,4, or 5 way blade type switch.

Can I get some suggestions regarding:

1. volume pot value (remember there is a HB, P-90, and a single)
    2. switching scheme (coil tap, pickup combinations)
    3. tone cap values
    4. your cool ideas

2. has-sound

has-sound Member

I would go with 300k pots and .02 caps.

-Stan

3. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Firstly, thanks for the reply.

I've seen some 250/500 stacked pots, have you any experience with those?

4. has-sound

has-sound Member

Yes, concentric (stacked) pots may be the best way to go since you only have room for two pots.

-Stan

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I don't really like, or use tone pots much, but I use 300k volume w/treble filter and 1meg tone with a .022mf cap. You could also use a Fender "No-Load" tone pot - at 10 it drops out of the circuit.

6. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

get the 500/500 concentric pot and also a push/pull tone pot for coil tap of the humbucker.

wire the humbucker to one of the concenctric and the other one to general. the HB will be the loudest so you might want to tame it if you mix

also get a 5 way switch so you have the most options and can mix coils.

if you end up not liking the humbucker split sound with the push pull switch, change it so the push pull allows you to turn on the humbucker when only on the bridge position so you can get that neck/bridge mix

7. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

A question for you smart electronics guys regarding pot values:

HB wants to "see" 500K
    Singles want to see 250K
    A P-90 may want to see about 350K

Could I use a 250K pot for master volume and somehow include a series resistor at some point in the circuit so that each pickup will see the "correct" resistance value?

Alternately, a 500K and parallel resistors?

8. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Thanks OTM, you're just the guy I was hoping would chime in.

So....the shunting resistor would go between the switch output and volume pot input with a switch in between?