Sommatone and Mahalo Amps Experiences and Users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Mar 21, 2015.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Just been curious but anyone tried either Sommatone or Mahalo amps? Mahalo is a little odd in that there's not much out there but apparently they sell their stuff through Musician's Friend.

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I tried a Sommatone Roaring 40 a couple years ago. An unforgettable amp, not really much like anything else. And BTW, Jimmy Somma is just as good an amp tech as he is a builder, and a very decent guy too.
    MD

3. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I've had a couple Sommatone Amps. If I was smart I'd never have sold the Roaring 40 combo I had. Great tones, plenty of volume, good at low volume, and about 40 lbs. Also had a head and an OD35. Roaring 40 combo was my favorite. I'm pretty sure one of the guitarists in Drive by Truckers has been using one for year.

Jimmy's also a very good guy and responsive to inquiries. If I had anything less than wonderful to say about him its that he moved from being 10 minutes away from me to about 2,000 miles and I preferred him nearby for guitar and amp tech work. :horse

Never heard of Mahalo. Search "Sommatone" here and you'll find lots of info and opinions.

4. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

I owned a od35. Killer amp with great drive. Only sold because I needed more headroom.

5. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

I own the OD35 and absolutely love it. Great tone at ALL volumes...one of the best masters I've ever heard. Takes pedals very, very well. I like to set it for a nice pushed clean tone and then add a pedal for higher gain tones.

6. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

I had a roaring 40 head which I regret selling in a moment of GAS. I familiar story I know. It was very tonefull with a nice master volume.

7. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Paul Jackson of Blackberry Smoke uses a Mahalo 1/2 stack, sounded great when I saw them live.
    [​IMG]

8. Omega

Omega Member

Where did Jimmy move to?

9. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Jimmy moved to Austin. I'm bummed because I don't have anyone close by I trust to work on my amps anymore.

10. Omega

Omega Member

Didn't know he moved. Have you tried Dave's sound repair in Whippany nj?

11. Smashies

Smashies Supporting Member

I know Mike Cooley of DBT and the guitarist for St. Paul & the Broken Bones play thru Sommatone. Aside from the gorgeous tone on display when they're played through by those artists, they're also highly reputed to be extremely road-worthy and durable.

12. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

No, I haven't tried Dave's, but someone else just recommended him to me off list. I'll have to try him out with some stuff.

As for the Sommatone stuff, I wish I would have bought one when he was local. I used to walk in his shop and he would have one mid-build on his work bench, and it was absolutely TOP NOTCH work. Never quite had the dough to pull the trigger on one, but the OD35 sounded freakin' awesome. May have to revisit that one someday.

Steve

13. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I had an R40 combo. Killer Marshall tones and it still had a sweet clean. I traded for it here at a time when I was into Fender tones more. Kind of wish I still had. Jimmy is a real good guy too

14. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Wow, didn't know Jimmy moved to Austin. I can kinda see his style working there. Great amps and he seemed very cool when I have spoken to him at shows. Everytime I hear an OD-35, I wonder why I don't own one yet.

15. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

OD 35 is on my short list too.
    I can understand him moving to Austin, a great music area from what I hear.

16. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

I used to buy, play and sell a lot of amps (Fender Blackfaces, Fender Tweeds, AC30s, Marshall Plexis, 70s Oranges, 70s Hiwatts, and countless other boutiques, all of which Jimmy serviced for me). When I bought Jimmy's Roaring 20 prototype head I immediately fell in love with it. Then I got a Roaring 40 1x12 combo with reverb. Insane. It can do pretty much anything if you know what you are doing, and its dead quiet because its so well designed and made. The presence control, which transforms the voicing of the amp (it can mellow out the harshness of the bridge pickup on a strat or tele, or brighten up a muddy humbucker), makes it the most versatile amp I have ever played. Sounds great with any guitar. It has one of the best master volumes I have ever heard. Plus the boost is great for adding more "hair" to your leads. I haven't played everything, but nothing I have ever played comes close to the quality tone I have heard with this amp.