Sommatone "The Outlaw" Sound Clips

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by Jimmy Somma, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Jimmy Somma

Jimmy Somma Member

Finally some clips of our high gain amp - The Outlaw. Thanks to Stevie D at Sound Spa Studios, for donating his time and excellent playing skills. Stevie used his 83' Les Paul with the stock pickups and ran the amp through a 4X12 cab with greenbacks... enjoy!

Clip 1

Clip 2

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Sounds great Jimmy!

3. TJL

TJL Member

Wow! Stellar sounds. I see that Circa Survive, congrats to you guys.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Deep tones, Jim!

Welcome change from all the D-Clones.......:D

Best, Pete.

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Great sounding amp Jimmy. It is heavy but still seems to retain clarity, very nice. Will it be at NY in May for the Amp Show?

6. Jimmy Somma

Jimmy Somma Member

The Outlaw amplifier will be there along with a prototype of our first production 6L6/6V6 amp - more details to come as we get closer to the show.

7. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Sounds kinda "Brown" to me. I remember a few years back I listened to your roaring 40 clips and really dug it as well. I'd throw a little echo in the mix and I'd bet it would sound even Browner. :D

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Mmmm, 6V6's. What brand are you liking? JJ's, EH, TS?

Will it be a 2 channel...I really need clean and dirty.

9. Jimmy Somma

Jimmy Somma Member

I love the JJ's! Tight low end for a 6V6 with a smooth, sweet top end - extremely musical tube. They kind of remind me of a the old 7591's.

As with all of our amps it will have single channel but controllable from clean to dirty by the guitars volume. We have the less is more approach at Sommatone. We find that trying to incorporate to much "stuff" in an amp can detract from the tonal purity.

10. foomoola

foomoola Member

Hey Jimmy ,

Big fan here , I almost pulled the trigger on a "SLICK" but REALLY needed more gain , and was excited about the news of a "high gain " Somma !!!! Well I am GLAD i waited ...Cant wait to hear "in person" at the NY show ...WOW ...Thanks for the TONE !!! Dave P.:D

11. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Wow, actual rock music in a demo clip (GRIN).

The amp sounds great Jimmy - nice playing too.

thanks, Dana O.

12. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Great sounds, Jimmy.

*And* it was great bumping into you the other day.....I wish we had some time to hang & play. Next time!!!

13. John II

John II Member

Hey Jimmy!

Great clips. Nice choice having Steve DeAcutis(sp?) record the amp for you. He is a great guitar player, writer and producer. He had a great hard rock band called Tough Lick in the late 80's. I listen to their demo and the work he did with Arcara all of the time.

I look forward to hearing it in person at the amp show in May.

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

clips sound great. Not quite my style. Loved the Roaring 20s still one of the best amps I've played.

What kind of sound are you shooting for with the 6V6/6L6 amp btw?

15. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Sounds great Jimmy, really thick and saturated tone. How does the amp handle pinch harmonics? Also, would the low-end hold together with a 7-string?

_TJK*

16. Jimmy Somma

Jimmy Somma Member

The amp will respond amazing with both pinch harmonics and 7 strings guitars... The Outlaw has a ton of tight fat low end!

17. trisonic

trisonic Member

Jim's the master of the tight, fat bottom...er..... I tell you I've seen a couple at his workshop and they look tres cool too (amps, amps).

Best, Pete.

18. Jimmy Somma

Jimmy Somma Member

Tweed like - cathode biased with no negative feedback loop and extremely touch sensitive like all of our amps.

19. Xoutheyes

Xoutheyes Member

We designed this amp to have SUPER tight low end. The Outlaw is just begging for low tunings. The pinch harmonics would make Zakk Wylde proud!! There's tons of gain on tap so you could make this amp even more aggressive. But the wonderful thing is it barely loses clarity! With the volume and gain dimed you can hit a G chord and hear every note. We designed this for modern metal and hard rock. There is also a focus knob that helps tighten the response for faster death metal tones when you turn it up. Alternatively, as you turn it down, the headroom opens up for more classic tones. Andy Williams, of Every Time I Die, said it was the first high gain amp he ever played that he didn't want to put a tube screamer in front of. Behemoth will be using the Sommatone Outlaw on their new record, so keep your eye out for a video update!

-Danny

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009