Sommatone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cr8z4life, May 13, 2005.

1. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Picking up my Sommatone Roaring 20 Today!!! Cant wait.....review to follow.....I think this is going to be amazing to use with the vodoo amp selector and a/b with my Top Hat Super Deluxe! :dude

2. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Can't wait to hear what you have to say!

Ted

3. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The Sommatone amp at the last NYC Tonefest was, IMO, one of the best sounding of the entire group. I don't recall which model it was, but it was chock full o' tone. Congrats!

4. cr8z4life

He only has one right now, the roaring 20

I know we have all heard the this amp is better than that amp rederick over and over again......but I will tell you after an hour on this with a strat (havent even gotten to the humbuckers yet) That this is the tightest, best sounding, most versatile, 1x12 combo I have ever heard or played!!! What you guys heard at the tonequest was nothing because he didnt get to show the versatility it has......

You want fender....its in there
    You want Vox cleans......its in there
    You want Vox dirty ....its in there
    You want marshal cleans....its in there
    You want marshal dirty.....its in there
    You want Thick overdrive...its in there.....you want
    Van Halen brown sound......just throw a BB over the
    OD tones and your there!!

This is going to make it easy to decide what I want to take to go out and jam! Its also great at 20 watts because its all usable power.....Basically for most of these tones I just keep the master dimed......and I know this is a big statement, but, this amp cleans up better with the guitar volume than ANYTHING I have ever tried!! Oh yea, and an incredible reverb to top it off!

These amps need more recognition. They are definately sleepers....but Jimmy is a great guy and he has definately found a believer and future customer in me!! Damn, cant even imagine how good the 40 watt 2x12 model he is coming out with is going to sound!

5. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

Congrats on the amp. Jimmy really knows his **** and builds one of the best amps I've ever heard. I can't wait to hear the 40 watt version. Enjoy it!!!

peace
    -jeff

6. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

...and his chassis work is incredible too!

Nice!One more amp to check out.
    I guess these will be my famous last words or at least what I'll keep saying over and over when the men in white come to take me to the lunatic asylum, in the "ampofreniacs" room.

Ted

7. Chi

Chi Member

That amp was INCREDIBLE!!! I know, cause I was there when Keith was there to pick it up! I hear that amp and it did EVERYTHING...Tweed, Marshall, Vox...Jimmy hooked yup Keith's Xotic BB pedal to it and that amps was smoking...

Without the pedal that amp still did everything, and Keith is right...the demo for the amp at the tonefest did nothing for it...

PLUS Jimmy, IMHO is one of thenicest, most competent tech out there

That Roaring is one dfinitely on my short list if I can sell some of my guitars...or may be I'll wait for the 40 watter!!!:dude

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

I love the "Roaring 20". You can even get a convincing "Beano" type tone with a Strat.....
    Perhaps Jimmy can come on with details of the proposed 40 watter?

His pedals are very good too. Really I should keep my mouth shut, he's central NJ's best kept secret......

Best, Pete.

9. hansoloist

Yes, Chi, Jimmy is indeed a peach. But don't let his calm demeanor and soft-spokenness fool you...when he picks up his Strat and plugs in, he's a friggin' monster!!!

Pete,
    I'm all done with my student teaching, so I have plenty of free time on my hands. We should set up a day to meet up at Jimmy's....that is....errr...if that's ok with you, Jim.:D

peace
    -jeff

10. Vlad

Vlad Guest

Fantastic amp and a totally great guy! Jim's done some work for me and it's always been top-notch! I'm picking up a Mojotone 4x12 from him tomorrow.. :)

11. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Member

Sound clips sound great. There's no price listed on the website (that I can find). What does the 20W head cost?

12. cr8z4life

The soundclips dont even touch what it sounds like in person.......as far as pricing, just contact Jimmy. He is a great guy to deal with....pretty damn good guitar player too!!

13. Vlad

Vlad Guest

I agree...

The clips sound great, but the amp sounds awesome in person! It's got a vibe all its own. Great chime.

14. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Hey Jeff,

I might be up for that too, depending on how far into NJ it is. I've been wanting to hear a Sommatone too-and your 9/15 of course...;)

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

Hee, Heh, That's five of us in Sommatone (incl. Jim and Eric).....can you imagine it? Dave I'll let jeff explain....

Best, Pete.

16. Blueser

Blueser Member

I would love to compare the Sommatone to a Cornford Hurrican 20 watt combo. The Hurricane was the best sounding 20 watt combo I have ever heard, and it has reverb, and an effects loop.

It was very versatile as well, and had a great master which got rockin' tones and whisper volumes when needed!

17. trisonic

trisonic Member

Dave, The "Roaring 20" has a very good two knob reverb that still sounds great when the amp is being overdriven - Jim explained why, technically but it went in one ear and out the other.....
    It also has an incredibly useful "boost" function (the amp, I mean).

Best, Pete.

18. hansoloist

Haha, yeah, Jimmy's a bit pressed for space. Every time I stop by his shop is brimming with amps and guitars. And what you see is about half of his workload...the rest is waiting in another room.

Unless you guys don't mind getting reeeeeeeally friendly, 5 might be a bit much in there.

peace
    -jeff

19. Jimmy Somma

Jimmy Somma Member

The 40 watt version will have the same preamp as the Roaring 20 but larger transformers and 4 EL-84's and a 1/2 power switch. Options will be 2X10, 2X12 combo w/reverb or a head version no reverb. It will be available in the late summer. More details to come...

sommatone.com

20. walrus

walrus Member

How does it compare to the Top Hat?