Somone Go Overboard on Cap Job? *PIC*

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alivegy, Feb 8, 2008.

1. alivegy

alivegy Member

This is a pic of the chassis of a 67 bandmaster. The caps under the chassis have been replaced but did someone go a bit overboard on this one? It appears that all of the blue caps that are original to these amps are gone. I'm trying to find one of these in good shape and I don't mind a cap job, but I would like the amp to be as original as possible.
    For Sale:
    [​IMG]

Stock for Reference:
    [​IMG]

2. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Just on appearences I would say its a mod not just a recap- afew extra's lurking around. But I'm talkin appearances only.

This shouls be moved to the amp technical board ask the mod to move it for you

best groovey records

3. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I'd pass on that one. I'm sure you can find another that is more original for the same $$.

There are a couple of "blue drops" in the foreground of one pic that Fender really did start using in the late 60's, but the orange drops and Mallorys were clearly replaced. You only need to do that if they are leaking DC. Maybe they were and some tech fixed things up?

I see several resistors have been replaced too, which is OK, but it seems to be a little willy nilly in this one.

4. alivegy

alivegy Member

I'm thinking the same thing, upon looking at it closely it looks like it as been modded as well. The resistors aren't layed out the same, although they could just be using a mix of resistors to get the same values as the old ones.

5. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Come on, if the amp needed those parts it needed them.
    Even if it didn't, those parts won't hurt a thing.
    Buy it, and put it back to stock.
    :horse

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Why buy the amp and spend more money restoring it when you can just buy another one for the same $$ without having to spend anything else?

7. JerryP

JerryP Member

Are you going to play it or just stare at it and sniff it? If you are going to play it the amp looks fine as long as the price isn't crazy. If there are any changes made to the amp they are minor and easy enough to change back.
    Jerry

8. alivegy

alivegy Member

I'm looking for a blackface bandmaster or tremolux. I don't really want someone elses interpretation of the amp. If I wanted that I would either build one from scratch or buy a greis or victoria. And if I do decide to modify it, I would prefer to start from the beginning and not on a model that's already been messed with. Thanks for looking guys I really appreciate all of the different opinions.