1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Son of Hyde

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by boon, Jan 22, 2008.

1. boon

boon Member

Anybody got their hands on one yet? Would like to hear reviews. I've used the red jekyll and hyde and loved the hyde channel and if it is as good, will definitely want to try it. Thanks guys!

2. jpv0209

jpv0209 Member

yea i've got the new j&h v2. I talked with a guy from Visual Sound and he said it is exactly whats in the j&h v2, or at least the hyde part of it. so yes it'll sound amazing

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I played one at the Arlington Guitar Show this past October. I thought it sounded great, especially with the new Visual Sound compressor in front of it.

4. greatbigz

greatbigz Member

I was talking to the Visual Sounds guy at the booth this weekend, he told me that it is exactly the same as the Hyde side of the dual pedal....I was holding out for one but finally gave in and got a Crunchbox instead.

5. sandman

sandman Member

I've got the regular red J&H and the red side is kinda a bit too scooped for my taste even with the mids cranked. Does the new one sound any different?

6. lostcause

lostcause Member

Bump.
    Still curious to hear more about this pedal.

7. sandman

sandman Member

Having said that it's probably me not digging dist tones in general all that much. I like how you can set it as a cleanish gritty OD to boost the TS side or just use it to enhance the neck Strat pickup for SRV moments. It maybe lacks 'mojo' of cooler stuff but it makes a fairly transparent OD. All this from a low gain perspective of course...

8. nohaybanda

nohaybanda Member

i bought an used Visual Son of Hyde and it's my favorite marshall-in-a-box distortion !
    there is WAY too much bass in factory setting ( the bass is tight though ), but you can easily turn down the bass with the internal trimpot ( no bass knob ). after some tweaking i have set the trimpot to minimal bass and I recommend this setting for rock, it still has much more bass than my crunch box and pinnacle, and you can dial in the mids and treble more easily.
    the sound is great, more low-end than my crunch box ( too mid-bumpy for me) and my pinnacle. the bright switch is awful though (avoid it)
    i was a bit skeptical before i got the pedal ( no true bypass, not fond of visual sound...) but i have to admit it is as good as many boutique pedals i've owned (soundwise). don't overlook it.