Sonar Users Thread

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by CharlyG, Apr 25, 2015.

1. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Just seeing if there is any interest in a Sonar thread here. I typically have 2 or 3 questions a week as I move through production, and most of the questions on CW are really....well let's just say not well thought out... I do like the new subscription as I am able to now afford all of the content, without which the features are "muted".

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Used it and Cakewalk for close to twenty years.

No interest in the subscription model, switched to Reaper - every bit as good, for what I'm doing, actually more customizable to my workflow.

3. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

They still have the original model, pay full price, get updates. Pay by the month, get updates. Pay nothing, get no update. The biggest change is not to have to wait for a "full" update, you get em as they write 'em.

4. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Love my Sonar Platinum! I don't know of another daw with as many features.

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

Not really doing music production for a living anymore, so Reaper gives me everything I need and more, for a very reasonable price.

I just started doing an EP as a favor for a friend and we made the switch - everyone is loving it so far.

My fave thing is you can reprogram the kbd functions. I've set it up to emulate the kbd shortcuts in Soundforge, which I'm a beast at, and it's cut my editing time by probably 50%...

I'm sure I'll find some shortcomings as I get more into the mixing, but just for that alone, I'm sold.

6. stratrat2000

stratrat2000 Member

Haven't got the latest one - still on Sonar 3, but I've been using Cakewalk since Cakewalk for DOS! I've tried a few other DAWs, but always end up back with what I know best.

7. jbltwin1

jbltwin1 Member

I have Sonar 7 producer and like it. Had 5 before. Not much difference. Buddies had the "X" series and use the heck out of it. I'm comfortable with sonar so I stick with it. Mike.

8. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

I'm interested, and I have Sonar. Lots to learn about mixing, drum programming, etc.

Unfortunately, not much time lately to work on recording projects. But that should change soon.

9. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I've got EZdrummer doing my drum loops, and event though I play bass, I tried some of those and it's pretty cool. My issue atm is the take line. I understand what the take numbers are, but what the heck are the record numbers? For instance - Track2
    Take 4 and on the track line is says Record 8?

10. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    I bought an Allen and Heath Zed16R, which came with a 'limited' version of Sonar. Having never used a DAW before, I went ahead and purchased Sonar X2 Studio and set it up with my Zed.
    I've felt no need to upgrade to Sonar X3.
    I've experienced a few annoying glitches within the program, which may be remedied by an update, but I've been able to work around the glitches.

11. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Yeah, X2 had one update. I believe the switch from Roland to Gibson had a direct impact on X2, but X3 and Platinum have been solid. Addictive drums and Melodyne alone were worth the upgrade cost, but it's been to overall daw that has impressed me the most. It's a very nice daw.

12. Genghis

Genghis Member

Been using Cakewalk since Pro Audio 5 and really like it a lot. Tried others briefly and actually own Reaper and Studio One these days, but I'm still most comfortable with SONAR. I picked up Platinum. I have way too many drum modules, but Addictive was a nice bonus and adds another flavor.

I like the track folders in Reaper and it seems to have less overhead in resource usage, but in general I'm still using SONAR a lot more, as I get stuck trying to figure out things I already know how to do in SONAR.

13. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Fan and User of Sonar X3 Producer here.

I purchased Platinum but have not installed it yet.

14. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Long time Sonar user, but debating whether to upgrade or just make the switch to ProTools.

15. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Unless you are sending to a studio so someone else can mix, or for collaboration work....I really struggle with the idea of why anyone would switch given the cost to get a decked out version.

I know the top PT seller in the South....and could have gotten a very nice discount. Even with that, Sonar was a much cheaper solution given what it comes with "in the box" so to speak.

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I dumped my Protools for Sonar X3. I like it much better. Way more user friendly to me and I bought a midi keyboard to take advantage of all the extras. I got the program for 50 bucks so well worth it. The drums alone were worth 50 bucks

they have a great forum for support too. Answered a bunch of my questions thoroughly

17. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Completely understand. My challenge is with collaborations with studios and musicians using ProTools - bouncing down individual wav tracks in Sonar is rapidly becoming a real PITA.

18. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

still using sonar 6 PE here.....

works great.

but will be updating my DAW soon,
    and will update to sonar platinum.

19. Badside

Badside Member

You do know you can export all your tracks in one action?

Re-importing them is pretty simple too (just select all files in Windows Explorer and drag them over to Sonar)

20. imaxeman69

imaxeman69 Member

Been using Cakewalk since Pro Audio 12. Currently on Sonar Producer 6. Only because my DAW is pretty old, but still works great. Want to build a new computer, but having a hard time justifying the cash for all the more I record anymore. Using 2 M-Audio Delta 1010s for my interface, so even finding a MB with two standard PCI slots is tough.

I just can't imagine using any other DAW personally. I've worked in studios with Logic, Pro Tools, and Digital Performer, but I always run home to Sonar.