Song ownership

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by LARRY GERSHON, May 11, 2015.

1. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

How long does it take for s song to get in the public domain? I want to record a solo cd to sell at my solo gigs. If I record cover material do I need to be concerned about paying royalties? May only sell a few hundred copies.

2. conanb

conanb Member

With those kind of figures I'd be tempted to just not care. Can't see anybody even noticing that you've done it.

3. taez555

taez555 Member

It's currently the life of the Songwriter(s) + 70 years.

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Yes.

Get to know Harry Fox

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

"Happy Birthday" is NOT in public domain, if that tells you anything!

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

No production facility will touch it unless you've got the paperwork done.

7. conanb

conanb Member

I think things must be very different in the US. Pressing plants (if that's what you mean by production facility) don't give a **** in Europe. And there's no way anybody would chase you about it unless you were selling hundreds of CD's or doing an official release. Selling a couple hundred CD's out of a holdall over the course of 20 or 30 gigs is not gonna even register with anyone. Some things are crazy strict in the US tho so I wouldn't have a clue about that part of the world.

8. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

My Celtic band thought one of our songs was traditional. It's not. The publisher caught wind of it and nearly sued us until we convinced them it was an honest mistake and we paid what we owed. Our sales were around 2000 CD's.

It doesn't cost that much to pay mechanicals for covers at the level you plan on working at. $35 a song, IIRC.

9. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

Not to mention it's about doing the right thing (something that is getting increasingly lost in our society). The songs you're covering were written by musicians and songwriters, too -- you wouldn't like to not be paid for someone covering your work, so why shouldn't they get paid for you to cover theirs?

(By "you" I don't mean the OP, it sounds like he's looking to do the right thing, but just in the general sense...)