Song you can't F'in stand that clubs always play at set break...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 55hz, Feb 24, 2012.

1. 55hz

55hz Member

"Thank y'all, we'll be right back..." BOOM! Cue crappy house music! In the early 90's it was "OPP". Nowadays, the one I abhor down to my very marrow: "Cupid Shuffle". What crappy tune seems to follow you around, gig to gig?

2. 55hz

55hz Member

Step up fellas! What songs do DJ's plague you with at set breaks? It could be any song any era! Come on guys...

3. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

Yep, Cupid Shuffle is the one.

Could be worse, though. I was in a band a couple of years ago that played that song, sometimes more than once a night, and then the DJ would play it on the breaks as well, lol.

4. russ6100

russ6100 Member

The one that used to kill me was "The Macarena" but then something worse happened......WE started playing it!

5. mondaythursday

mondaythursday Senior Member

I wouldn't mind at all if at some of the places I where I play music a DJ spun actual house music on breaks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKVevFXYf4
    I would probably stay inside and listen to it. About the only tune I can think of that I really don't like is "Still Got The Blues". Though I rarely hear it in clubs.

6. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Anything that drives the crowd out the door.

7. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Crazy Bitch, but then again Dr. Jimmy makes a good point!

8. B Money

B Money Member

One place we used to play all the time must have had a jukebox with only 2 CDs in it; AC-DC Live, and some Kid Rock.
    After every set they would crank up "Thunderstruck" at top volume.

The same song, over and over again, played on the house sound system WAY louder than the live band volume. I love "Thunderstruck" as much as the next guy, but damn that got old fast.

9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I want the guy who wrote "Hey There Delilah" to die a slow horrible brutal death (not really, but man I hate that song...)

10. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Any of that rap **** or other sound effects non-music.

11. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

12. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

That "I'm Sexy And I Know It" travesty.

13. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

That's a fun, disposable pop song.

Aint it funny how the staff will crank recorded music louder than the band, then bitch that the band is too loud?

I've had to ask the staff to turn the **** down when we are loading out because it was deafening WITH ear plugs!

:FM

14. telecopter

telecopter Member

Been there, done that. Ha!! :drink

15. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Well - I don't know the name of the song(s) - I guess because I'm not as up on my Hip Hop & Rap as I should be.

Last weekend we played at a reasonably cool club that evidently is still trying to figure out who they want to cater to. They typically book classic rock-ish type bands - but on breaks they only played gangsta' rap & hip hop type stuff - which I thought was really weird. If not slightly annoying.

A strange mix if you ask me, especially considering they booked a 'house band' for the month of March that evidently only does contemporary country & southern rock type stuff.

The clientele we saw really didn't look like a rap or hip hop crowd to me, and in spite of the house attempts to make the place into some kind of dance extravaganza on our breaks - we packed the dance floor more than the DJ (or whatever he was) ever did.

I dunno - it just struck me as an unlikely combination - trying to be all things to all people. Didn't really work IMHO.

16. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

I believe a working musician can't be a critique, if you want to remain a working musician.
    I can't stand anything from Katy Perry but our singer wants to do 'The Peacock' song, and I will do it with a smile but grunting inside. We are actually as much actors as musicians.
    I would love to do 'Cuban Shuffle' if we can pull it off and the crowd liked it. It's not about us....

17. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

Exactly. The walls are shaking from the house music but god forbid I can even hear myself.

18. JohnRosett

JohnRosett Member

We bring an ipod plugged into the PA and play set break music that we want to hear.

19. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

I was supposed to have a gig tonight, but the drummer cancelled, I was actually looking forward to DJing the breaks. I try to keep current music, so I will take a look at the latest billboard hits and pick the most tolerable and least overplayed hits. I always like to throw in something that sounds good and people haven't heard. YOu know you are doing good as a DJ when people ask what song it was you just played.