Songbird Music in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by godotzilla, Jan 15, 2008.

1. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Canadian board members, anyone ever dealt with Songbird Music in Toronto? I ordered a pedal from them last week. When I called to check on it today, both their toll free and regular phone lines were "not in service." Needless to say, I find this a bit alarming. Are these guys on the up and up?

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Great guys there. I've only dealt with them in person, not by mail/phone. I just tried the numbers and you are right, they are out. That is bizarre. Don't worry. They are still there and in business. I'm pretty sure that they are closed Tuesdays, so if something strange happened with their phone lines today, no one would be around to notice it or fix it.

Send an urgent email and try again tomorrow afternoon (give them a chance to get the lines back up). If there is still nothing, send me a PM and I'll see if I can get to the bottom of it for you.

3. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Thanks, man. That's very kind of you to offer. I just called their sister store in Ottawa, and they confirmed that the lines are down.

4. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Never dealt with them, but I've dealt with James Reid, an employee at Songbird, before. He's a nice guy and knows his stuff. Definitely send an urgent e-mail and try calling again.

5. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I used to work with James at Steve's Music. He is a great guy.

6. Migs

Migs Member

I was in there on Saturday. I can't say whether they are on the "up and up" but they were still with us as of a few days ago.

7. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I bought a pedal from them a few years ago through Ebay. Great transaction!

8. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I bought my Anderson and an amp setup from him at Steve's in TO actually. He's from northern Ontario, like me.

Is Peter Benni still working there? Haven't spoken to him in years. I got some great service from him as well.

9. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Songbird.......

Been dealing with them for 15 years, both Ottawa and Toronto. NEVER had any issue, always good service.

10. tybone

tybone Member

Zilla, I can't get through to them either. I tried again just now. I will be down there tomorrow so I'll let you know.

Larry

11. GP_Hawk

GP_Hawk Member

The Store in Ottawa is no longer a sister store, they are seperate entities, at least that's what they told me late in the summer. I was at Songbird Toronto a month ago and though the used stock was down substantially, they were still in business. Things did look a little thin though....

12. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

The store in Ottawa has been sold off to the employees, and is now called Spaceman Music. From what I heard, Songbird wanted to sell the Ottawa location, and some employees bought it.

13. iggs

iggs Member

Great guys and great store but there are rumors circulating of them closing down ... I think the owner is trying to sell the business off ... not sure though.

14. dusty tolex

dusty tolex Member

I talked to an employee there around Xmas - he said they are downsizing from the two big rooms to the one room they had initially.

dt

15. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I think you mean Peter Bruni. Great guy too. Total pro. I imagine he's still there. I haven't been by in years though. After working at Steve's and seeing the attitudes of ownership and 2 key members of upper management to their employees, stock and customers, I decided to spend my money elsewhere.

16. ROKY

ROKY Member

Bought my Hiwatt combo from the Toronto store 4 yrs ago and they
    shipped it fast [to Va.Beach] & packed to withstand a nuclear attack .:AOK

17. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

The store in Ottawa isn't any better actually. The stock they carry isn't what it used to be. The service is pretty good though (most of the guys who work there are friends of mine). You're not the first to complain about management in that place.

I remember the Toronto store used to carry some nice boutique stuff like Tom Anderson, Matchless, VHT, Budda, that kind of thing. It's too bad they don't anymore.

18. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

I received an email reply from Andrew at Songbird today. It would appear they are still there. He apologized for the problems with their phones, but it sounds like they're still in business.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this. I really appreciate your concern, feedback, and responsiveness. This board does indeed rock. :dude

19. tybone

tybone Member

The new phone number should be on the Songbird web site soon.

20. woschiz

woschiz Member

Songbird is gonzo, picked up a nice MJM Foxey Fuzz on their last day.