Songs and Song List Management

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by ddewees, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ddewees

ddewees Supporting Member

I am looking for ideas on how to manage my list of songs I know and want to play, review and learn. For about 10 - 12 years I was in a various cover bands and our set list really determined what I played, practiced and worked on. Now that I have "retired" I am looking for an effective way to keep track of songs that I know and may want to play, either solo or for others.

I want to include some songs from the band sets but I also want to add solo acoustic pieces, jazz tunes, and other songs I have dabbled with.

I have used Excel, Outlook, paper and pencil and other ways to track all of this but in the end I almost spend too much time on the lists and less on playing.

I do keep a practice journal but it seems like I allow my lists to spread out everywhere and grow arms, legs and multiple versons.

2. brad347

brad347 Member

I'd say, let them grow and be crazy. No need to be utterly in-control all the time. :D

Embrace the idea that music is infinite and larger than you are. You'll find your path through it-- an element of chance is okay!

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I keep a couple of set lists. One that is ready to go, and one that includes tunes that I know, but need some brushing up. I get to play a solo 2 hour gig weekly, and I cover about 20-24 tunes during that time.

So for me, I will practice rep a couple of days per week, and cycle tunes in and out to keep them somewhat fresh. I might spend an hour on rep, and an hour on working up a new tune. These are jazz standards and newer pop stuff all done chord melody style. So, between the 2 lists I probably have around 50 or so tunes. Is that the kind of thing you meant?

4. fiddler

fiddler Guest

I use Excel for my bands song list..........bout 75 so far

That way, I can sort by song or artist, and for a gig can add columns to tag them with set # and then another column to order them in the set and then do a sort to create the gig set list

Gig set lists are thus easy to generate off of this master list

5. ddewees

Thanks for the input everyone. Shihanderek that is what I am looking for. I don't have an outside gig but I do want to use a "set list" concept to keep sharp on tunes I know as well as work in new songs. I hope to use home recording as my "gig" or barometer on whether I really know a song.

In my band days I worked from the basic set list songs. At different times I would use Excel or Access to create a rolling list of songs to review and refresh during my practice time at home. The harder the song the more often I would review it.

I use MS Outlook and other list making tools to manage my work commitments and other personal projects. For some reason music related things seem to flow better if I keep it simple; paper and pencil or simple lists.

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I think even if you aren't playing out at this point, you will find yourself in situations where there is a guitar, or someone hands you one and expects you to play something. By keeping a ready list, you can bust out a handful of tunes and look like you know what you are doing. :D

The other thing for me was by collecting tunes, I was able to gauge at what point I was ready to start gigging and how much time I could fill as the list grew. Good luck.

7. ddewees

That's exactly what I am looking for. For years I have struggled with the "play something for me" type situation. While I have lived in the rock, blues, country, pop cover band situations I do find myself moving towards jazz and chord melody type tunes in this solo setting

Since I am not really a singer, my typical cover tunes that I might pull out to "play something" are riff based. The chord melody format seems like a more more complete version of a song. The learning curve can be steep so I am wanting to keep some of the old band songs in the repertoire for a while.

I have studied a bit of chord-melody with a teacher in the past (West Coast Blues, Blue Bossa, Django, Cherokee) and need to dust those songs off. I also have the Brad Carlton, Truefire Chord Melody course. There are a lot of songs to learn there but the going has been slow.

8. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Just reply, "Sure, ok, I get $300 a night and expect payment up front".

9. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member