• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Songs that Started with the Chorus

jhumber

Without putting any thought into this I come up with...
Journey - Any Way You Want It
For reasons I can’t explain, that’s the first one that popped into my head as well :)

Second was Use Somebody by Kings of Leon, and (instrumentally) third was Born in the USA.

Beto

Silver Supporting Member
At least a thousand times i have listened to TS and played along to it, but never did i hear a single chorus in it, except Boss and TC chorus.
So I have both listened to and played along with it a thousand times.

I can understand what you mean. But the E - Dsus2/E - A7sus4* - Csus2/D part feels like a chorus IMO, as it is always the point where dynamics peaks -- particularly when it comes right after the solo (a position in the song often occuped by the chorus, BTW). Nevertheless, I want to reiterate the "IMO" remark, as I'm talking under a subjective POV.

But I'm curious about the existence of objective criteria to define and recognize a specific part of a tune as its chorus.

* Edited to correct the chord progression (I was busy at work and was also obsessed with the chord that follows Dsus2/E when they repeat the progression).

Last edited:

jkendrick

How about songs that take forever to get to the chorus but you don’t mind? I guess it would be “don’t bore us but take a while to get to the chorus”? Don’t Stop Believing springs to mind.

FuzzyAce

Gold Supporting Member
So I have both listened to and played along with it a thousand times.

I can understand what you mean. But the E - Dsus2/E - Am13/E - Csus2/D part feels like a chorus IMO, as it is always the point where dynamics peaks -- particularly when it comes right after the solo (a position in the song often occuped by the chorus, BTW). Nevertheless, I want to reiterate the "IMO" remark, as I'm talking under a subjective POV.

But I'm curious about the existence of objective criteria to define and recognize a specific part of a tune as its chorus.
Another thread could be: Songs Without the Chorus. i'm thinking there has to be a lot, maybe Bob Dylan has a few.

Trending Topics