Songs that use ring modulator?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MrMoose, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

Thank you for the information...:banana

Badtone and chankgeez like this.
  2. hugbot

hugbot Member

Is that ring mod on guitar though? I suspect it’s ring modulated percussion.

E; listen to what the drummer starts playing at 2.40, the rolls echo the intro riff (and again in the outro) I really suspect that’s the part which became the intro once effected. I don’t think Adam Jones relies that much on ring modulation for his sounds.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  3. weevilcaster

weevilcaster Supporting Member

I know Bill Frisell uses one from time to time. When I saw him live a couple of times he would kick it in for some added fun. I’m also pretty sure he used it on the album “Gone, Like A Train” on a track or two.

Thesleepstalker and aman74 like this.
  4. aman74

aman74 Member

I certainly can’t say for certain, but it sounds like guitar to me and he does use it in other tunes for sure.

5. boppy

boppy Member

The bell-like intro effects (presumably from Alex) are harmonics through echo and a ring-mod.

MoarGear likes this.
  6. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    this thread had me listening to Devo this morning, which was very energizing, also dug the Mahavishnu, Beck, and the Zep natch it goes without saying ... had that Beck album on cassette back in the day, listened to it a lot on the way to school, had no clue what was making those tweaked sounds back then ....

should have kept my old big box Frequency Analyzer but you know how we do sometimes, we mess up, happens to us all but feeling sad about old long-gone gear is part of the game

chankgeez likes this.
  7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The first time I learned of Ring Mod on a track was “She’s Gone” intro on Clapton’s Pligrim album.

8. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I believe that Jan Hammer uses a ring modulator on his electric piano in this song, during the solo (~3 minutes in).

chankgeez likes this.
  9. 7thString

7thString Member

Yeh sorry i meant summed

10. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Oh , Bill Frisell’s “silent comedy” he uses one all over that album- he uses a Zvex Ring Thing

InkblotNebula likes this.
  11. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

12. BlackT-Shirt

BlackT-Shirt Member

The album version of The Doors' "L.A. Woman" starts with an off-key quote of "My Country 'Tis of Thee." Is that a ring mod?

13. JimHalinda

JimHalinda Member

Very cool! I’ll have to see if I can wring that sound out of one of my Zoom or Line 6 emulations.

14. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Is there some phase cancellation or something that happens when it’s summed, as opposed to just listening to the full stereo mix?

Paranoid was released exclusively in stereo, wasn’t it? I know in the late 60’s, both mono and stereo versions of a lot of albums were issued, but I think by the early 70’s, stereo was pretty much standard.

Granted, that’s just the impression I’ve always had, but I’d definitely be interested in hearing a mono mix of “Paranoid,” if there was one. Was the single in mono? I think mono singles held on a little longer than mono LP’s.

Sorry to veer off topic. Just something I hadn’t thought about, that much, before.

“Paranoid” was the first thing I thought of, when I saw the thread title, though. I remember when I was in high school, and had only been playing for a year or two, I had a guitar magazine with a transcription of “Paranoid.”

Since it was pretty easy, and I was still early on, I learned it. The transcription mentioned the ring modulator, and that was the first time I’d ever heard of one.

15. 7thString

7thString Member

Not so much phase can cancellation but just to hear the complete timbre of the guitar + ring mod as one new timbre, its an interesting sound and somewhat less dissonant than usual for ring mod.

16. PFDarkside

PFDarkside Member

In remember listening to Paranoid in my car and my brother and I having a belly laugh imagining a smoking amp stack on one side of the stage, not having a clue what a ring mod was.

Technically an Octavia is a simple ring mod.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  17. the recluse

the recluse Member

Queens of the Stone Age "Smooth Sailing" on ...Like Clockwork.

18. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

lotsa ring mod effects when people use flangers and fuzzes that do octaves.

But the main use of just ring mod on records I can recall is by Keith Emerson on Brain Salad Surgery in multiple places, such as Karn Evil 9.

Basic analog synth effect.

19. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

Right before the solo in can't stop by the RHCP, souds like it to me

20. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Using a Lovetone, I'd wager.