1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Songs with excellent examples of modulation

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DWB1960, Jul 25, 2011.

1. paka

paka Member

Hmm... Just tried that Eb7 seems to resolve to G not D. Yes I should be more specific about the chord changes. I'll try and post something better. Thanks for any help.

2. mosesblues

mosesblues Member

The solo in Kid Charlemagne comes to mind. Also the solo/instrumental section in Aja. The skill it must require to solo into those changes the first time, before they became imprinted parts in memory, just dazzles me.

3. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

I've never heard a modulation up one tone or a half tone that didn't make me roll my eyes.
    The Truck Drivers Gear Change... hall of shame.

If ever you've run out of ideas or your song has said all it has to say... then stop. Please don't try to ring out a little more emotional intensity by stepping up a key.

clayt0n likes this.
  4. paka

paka Member

Well said. That's the essence of cheesy. Barry Manilow anyone? LOL

5. paka

paka Member

I think that I need to get to F#7 which is an easy step up from E7, then back into D major. But thanks, you got me on the right track by suggesting a different nearby 7 chord.

6. russ6100

russ6100 Member

Hard to suggest much as I don't know the genre, tempo, harmonic rhythm, or what you're going for.

If you have a melody, I would consider that first.

Millions of ways back to D.

The most vanilla way back to D is via it's V7, an A7. That's why I suggested Eb7, since you were close to it already. It's the tri-tone sub of A7.

In lots of rock / blues, you can always come back to home from a whole step below, so you could approach D from C.

7. paka

paka Member

It's a complicated progression, kind of crossover rock with shades of jazz, and I like your A7, but in this case the A6 sounds nice cuz I'm coming back in to D via a sus4. Thanks for you help.

8. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans...they go up a semitone each time they go into the future. When I was nine years old and first heard the song I found it effective.

Chrome Dinette and Fred Farkus like this.
  9. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

...or use A itself. Given that ii V I tend to work as a way to modulate, try using an eminor (which belongs in both keys) to A to D. The main thing is that if you create a section that can be ambiguous (could work in either key) that can smooth the transition. If you want a smooth transition, that is.

10. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Modulating Mickeys on the organ at the ballpark.
    Classic.

11. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

12. jkendrick

jkendrick Supporting Member

So What. :p

13. mikebat

mikebat Member

Does Cheap Trick's Surrender strike you the same way?

Not trolling ya.

14. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

Just had a listen. I didn't know the song... Cool song, harmonies and chomping guitars... all good.

The key change coming out of the intro is more interesting. It's got more of the feel of a live performance when you start messing around, and then break into the actual song.
    The key change in the middle is a classic tired truck driver's gear change. I guess they wanted to make it a 5 minute song.

I'm not knocking Cheap Trick. Some of my favourite artists are guilty of this step-up modulation. The Beatles, Stevie Wonder... these guys are freakin' genius, so take their opinion above mine, by all means. I'm just a bit cynical about this particular musical cliché.

mikebat likes this.
  15. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

"Sunny" by Bobby Hebb. I prefer the Electric Flag version though.

Cb likes this.
  16. futuresman

futuresman Member

If I understand modulation correctly...which could be a stretch...then how about My Generation by the Who...the modulations fit the theme of the song driving it to the destruction end.

iluvfender likes this.
  17. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

18. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Too many to list, but I've always dug the modulation in "You're gonna lose that Girl".

19. Neer

Neer Member

I learned how to modulate from old big band recordings, especially vocals. The Paul Whiteman/Bix/Bing records have a lot of great examples. Check out the tune Changes, which is about....changing keys.