Songs you never thought you'd play - and now you like them

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Sooooo...quick background - we have a new female vocalist ('nuff said)

Our band mostly plays classic rock and blues. We drifted into some 90's stuff for awhile, and cover a few pop songs and a couple of prog songs.

Since we've added our new vocalist, we've added these songs:

"Black Horse and a Cherry Tree"
"Feel it Still"
"You're No Good"
"I Want To Come Over"
"What's Up"
"Because The Night"
"Jolene" - Miley Cyrus version

100% truth - I didn't even know 5 of these and would never have picked any of them to learn.

I really like the first three. The others I could take or leave but they've become fun to play. Good to break out of the box we had ourselves in.

Y'all must have had similar experiences...let's hear about them!

On the plus side - our new vocalist does a killer "Stormy Monday" and sounds great harmonizing with me on "Deal"

B Money

my band just added "Backstreet's Back" and "I Want it That Way".

Never thought I'd play those songs but they go over great so it's fun. I'm starting to realize that my musical instincts are all wrong. Any song I think "Ugh that song is horrible, cheesy and lame! I would never stoop so low as to play that garbage!" is actually something I should play.

Turns out, the cheesier, the better. The people love cheese.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Numerous western swing tunes.

Not really a big fan of country music but these songs are a buncha fun.

Paleolith54

Sooooo...quick background - we have a new female vocalist ('nuff said)

Our band mostly plays classic rock and blues. We drifted into some 90's stuff for awhile, and cover a few pop songs and a couple of prog songs.

Since we've added our new vocalist, we've added these songs:

"Black Horse and a Cherry Tree"
"Feel it Still"
"You're No Good"
"I Want To Come Over"
"What's Up"
"Because The Night"
"Jolene" - Miley Cyrus version

100% truth - I didn't even know 5 of these and would never have picked any of them to learn.

I really like the first three. The others I could take or leave but they've become fun to play. Good to break out of the box we had ourselves in.

Y'all must have had similar experiences...let's hear about them!

On the plus side - our new vocalist does a killer "Stormy Monday" and sounds great harmonizing with me on "Deal"
Santeria. Well, I like playing it; it's probably one of those I like to play a lot more than to listen to.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
my band just added "Backstreet's Back" and "I Want it That Way".

Never thought I'd play those songs but they go over great so it's fun. I'm starting to realize that my musical instincts are all wrong. Any song I think "Ugh that song is horrible, cheesy and lame! I would never stoop so low as to play that garbage!" is actually something I should play.

Turns out, the cheesier, the better. The people love cheese.
lol, yeah, there is definitely some truth to that.

I actually really like that "Black Horse/Cherry Tree" song - never heard it before but man, it's got a great rhythm. Old Bo Diddley beat...I guess that's why it appeals to me.

Trending Topics