Songs Zeppelin didn't play live

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by pickaguitar, Aug 19, 2009.

1. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

On the 77 tour NQ would push 30 mins quite often too.

2. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

They did finally play For Your Life, at the O2 show last year.

Sounded great too..... huge and dirge-like.

3. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

I never heard them play "How Much is that Doggy in the Window" live.

It always really torqued me off that they'd leave it out.

4. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

From Wiki:

"In the Light" was never played live at Led Zeppelin concerts.[1] According to Jones, Robert Plant was emphatic about wanting to play the song onstage, but because Jones could not reproduce the synthesizer sound properly outside of the studio, he vetoed the idea.[citation needed]
    In an interview he gave to rock journalist Cameron Crowe, Plant stated that this song was one of Led Zeppelin's "finest moments".[2] Similarly, Page has stated that this is his personal favourite track on Physical Graffiti.[1] He performed this song on his tour with The Black Crowes in 1999. Although not included on their original album Live at the Greek, a version of "In the Light" can be found as a bonus track on the Japanese version of this album, released in 2000."

JP managed it with the Crowes!

5. zep41

zep41 Member

yea they did -- i saw them do it and it was sweet! Keep in mind Eddie Harsch (keyboards for the crowes) has the convenience of using digital keyboard technology to reproduce the effect. AND they brought out a Hurdy Gurdy player that played throughout the song! Too cool.

You cant believe everything you hear on Wikipedia. I think that whole thing about JPJ saying he cant produce the sound on stage is a BS rumor (notice there is no citation for it).
    He used a VCS-3 Synthi to produce that keyboard effect with echo -- why wouldnt he be able to do it on stage? Rick Wright used one live quite a bit. I think the song just didnt fit into their set.

6. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

No, Night Flight is not on the DVD.
    I apologize for being nit-picky, but the DVD is not entitled How the West Was Won, that is the title of the CD of the LA/Long Beach shows from '72.
    The DVD is self-titled.

7. Garygtr

Yeah, they introduced it as "Over the Top" at the Chicago show I saw on that tour.

8. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

Agree about the Wiki thing, JPJ of all people could have come up with an alternative, like they did for the recorder part at the beginning of Stairway. Lets face it, they could have put it in the set instead of that awful Whammy pedal/Harmoniser thing that Jimmy did when they dropped Dazed and Confused at Knebworth.

9. zep41

zep41 Member

interesting you bring up Jimmy's "noise" solo. I for one skip over it when i am listening to Zep boots from 1977 and after -- it just seemed like such a waste of time when they COULD have been doing a song like In the Light. But I think from a show perspective it was a lot different. The Eventide unit that page used to get these strange effects/sounds was relatively breakthrough technology at the time -- and the visuals were interesting for the crowd as well. I have talked to folks who have seen this at the 77 shows and they say its way different than on the boots. Jimmy's theatrics and the whole array of strange sounds went together so well that it was more of a visual pleasure for the crowd -- then Page did the whole Theremin and Violin bow solo with the lasers which is always cool to see.

So I agree with you that they should have done another song instead of that whole noise mess --- but I can appreciate when folks who have actaully witnessed it say "you just had to be there and it was different."

10. isfahani

isfahani Member

I recall hearing Carouselambra on a boot called "Out thru the Back Door" which was - correct me if I am wrong - from tour rehearsals for ITTOD?

11. zep41

zep41 Member

Nice! I have that boot on vinyl -- I am pretty sure it the takes for the In through the Out door album.

(edit) but yes I think it is true that they were rehearsing Carouselambra for the 1980 N. America tour.

12. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

I have a couple of boots where they dont play Dyer Maker, but they do have it inserted in some other songs like they were working on it, but it wasnt finished. Otherwise great list and considering how many songs they DID play it is pretty short. Most of those songs are later in their career and didnt tour much.

13. zep41

zep41 Member

Yea -- i recall a few times in early 1973 during the whole lotta love medley where they were jamming and kind of went off on a "dyer maker" tangent and Plant started singing the "oh-oh-oh oh -ohhh" part. Cant remember which shows though. And I think they did the same thing on 5/25/75 during the encore of Communication Breakdown.

Good call!

14. Garygtr

Yeah, in person it was pretty impressive, especially if you were tripping BALLS :hiP :bong

15. zep41

zep41 Member

nice!! - you saw it? Which show? I'm always interested to hear about this kind of stuff

(edit) -- i just remembered you posted earlier you saw them in Chicago 77. So I would assume this was not the show where it ended after Ten Years Gone because Page had "stomach issues"

16. Garygtr

I saw the second of the 4 Chicago shows, 4/7/77. The third one was the one that got cut short. I finally found a bootleg of the show I was at-it was as bad as I thought it was LOL. Still pretty cool to be able to listen to it. The production of the show (lasers, etc.) was great, but Page was just awful. But hey, only cost $10! :rotflmao