1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Songwriter's Corner

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jomama2, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I dig it.

Videos are a great way to self-evaluate. Definitely helps and it's cheap and easy now that we all carry a production studio in our pockets everywhere we go.

2. Crowder

Do you guys try songs in different keys before you commit to them? My vocal teacher stresses experimenting with different capo positions to find the one that fits the song and my voice. It's amazing how much easier it is to sing confidently once you find the place where the song works.

Try it, it's worth it!

TVvoodoo likes this.
  3. jspartz

jspartz Member

Thanks, Crowder. There was some experimentation with the key. Maybe not enough, I’m not sure.

Crowder likes this.
  4. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Hey guys-

I need an opinion. Once again, I'm working on an idea. But, also once again, I'm worrying that people won't get a phrase I wrote. I've had a great many times where I wrote a line that I thought was completely obvious and people came up to me later and said "What does THAT mean?"

This one should tell people that the main character has a really forceful personality. But will people get it, or not? The line I'm worrying about is: "She had thunder in her bones."

Crowder likes this.
  5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Depending on context that line has some nice power & could work fine.

6. chunky48

chunky48 Member

she had thunder in her bones

structurally it's not much different to e.g. 'she had fire in her eyes' so shouldn't be a problem. Though tbh if my gf. said she had thunder in her bones I would be hurriedly burying my face in a cushion.

TVvoodoo likes this.
  7. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Most lyrics would sound pretty ridiculous in normal conversation. At least most of the ones that are the kind I like.

Crowder likes this.
  8. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Strangely what made the 'thunder in her bones' phrase stick in my head was someone else's line about a character feeling something too strongly. It described a guy who enlisted after 9/11 because he had 'an earthquake in his chest'.

Crowder likes this.
  9. Crowder

Definitely keep that!

10. Martyk

Martyk Member

Keep it! Ever read Dylan's lyrics? Some crazy stuff in there.

Also, every line has contextual elements - the melody, major/minor key, other lines before and after it, etc - it works if you make it work. I believe in helping the listener understand that they're not just tuning into a private convo in my head, so I try to throw them some clues.

11. Martyk

Martyk Member

Forgot to add - this is the best thread!!! So where else can we songwriters get together and talk like this? I'm not buying pedals anymore, I'm trying to make good music, just need a forum for some advice, help, and inspiration. The music shared here is very inspiring! Thanks everyone.