songwriting/vocals/lyrics/musicianship/taste - has anyone come close to The Beatles?

vanguard

The "full-package." The Beatles songwriting, vocals, harmonies, instrument prowess, taste, melody, lyrical ability, consistency, etc. blows me away, endlessly. How did they do so much right? From John's perfect vocals, to Paul's groundbreaking bass parts, Ringo's inimitable "melodic" drumming, and George's tasteful, minimalist lead guitar; has anyone come close since?

Off the top of my head, I'd say R.E.M.'s early career was an impressive "these guys just do everything right" run. Certainly not The Beatles, but a more utilitarian version of the same prowess perhaps.

Who else?

TheGuildedAge

Everyone has their favorites. I would say U2, but I am a huge fan of theirs and don't like the Beatles.

I feel the lyrics of the Beatles are weak on many songs.

No one can top the Beatles, in my opinion, for the total iconic package, but U2 comes as close as anyone.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Oh, plenty of bands, if we're going to include the scope of REM to The Beatles. Queen, Zeppelin, Floyd, The Cure, The Smiths, etc.

Steve73

For me, Big Star was the total package of songs, lyrics, harmonies, great guitar parts. You can hear the Beatles influence but they took it somewhere else.

vanguard

Oh, plenty of bands, if we're going to include the scope of REM to The Beatles. Queen, Zeppelin, Floyd, The Cure, The Smiths, etc.

I don't mean R.E.M. are even in the same universe as The Beatles, but I sense a similar, carefully designed identity where it seems nearly every aspect was accounted for.

For me, Big Star was the total package of songs, lyrics, harmonies, great guitar parts. You can hear the Beatles influence but they took it somewhere else.

ahhhh, good call; but they didn't have the same universal appeal. . .more of a philosopher's Beatles if you will. . .

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
Beach Boys. If you go past the early hits they have an amazing deep catalog.

Me Again

While I immensely admire a number of the artists already mentioned in this thread as -- apparently -- exceeding the Beatles in the areas in the thread title, none of these, as Ogre suggested, are even in the same quadrant of the universe as the Beatles, IMO. There was just way too much magic and talent and chemistry and synchronicity with those four.

uitar99

I'm a fan, I'm 60, grew up listening to the beatles take over the world.

Tough to compare to other groups because of the times,

the psychedelic thing, the war, the clothes, the politics, the gear, the boomers

They were surfing the perfect 60's storm

The best? thats in the eye of the beholder

To me, Skynyrd and the ABB are a great culmination of one of the arms from the beatles

DBT's are a culmination of one of the arms of them

But there s always who influenced John Paul George and Ringo

Landis

The "full-package." The Beatles songwriting, vocals, harmonies, instrument prowess, taste, melody, lyrical ability, consistency, etc. blows me away, endlessly. How did they do so much right? From John's perfect vocals, to Paul's groundbreaking bass parts, Ringo's inimitable "melodic" drumming, and George's tasteful, minimalist lead guitar; has anyone come close since?

Off the top of my head, I'd say R.E.M.'s early career was an impressive "these guys just do everything right" run. Certainly not The Beatles, but a more utilitarian version of the same prowess perhaps.

Who else?

The Beatles were gifted at melody and incorporating things in pop music that at the time were pretty rare at the time like Ska on "I Call Your Name" or feedback "I Feel Fine"

To me when the Beatles started using sound collages, loops, sampling, backward guitar and vocal parts they basically separated themselves from their rock peers ranging from the Yardbirds to their buddies The Rolling Stones. Then you have songs like "Eleanor Rigby" just strings and "Love You To" using an Indian ensemble or "Tomorrow Never Knows" a total manipulation of the studio use of the psychedelic sound. You have remember this was 1966 before The Doors or Pink Floyd released their first albums

DGDGBD

Silver Supporting Member
The Eagles come to mind, although I am not a big fan of them.

Last edited:

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Stop it already! We've been down this road a thousand times before. The Beatles are untouchable, nothing more needs to be said!

images

seiko

The Beatles were gifted at melody and incorporating things in pop music that at the time were pretty rare at the time like Ska on "I Call Your Name" or feedback "I Feel Fine"

To me when the Beatles started using sound collages, loops, sampling, backward guitar and vocal parts they basically separated themselves from their rock peers ranging from the Yardbirds to their buddies The Rolling Stones. Then you have songs like "Eleanor Rigby" just strings and "Love You To" using an Indian ensemble or "Tomorrow Never Knows" a total manipulation of the studio use of the psychedelic sound. You have remember this was 1966 before The Doors or Pink Floyd released their first albums

Way after Joe Meek released "I Hear A New World" though. Which had all of that.

You may not of heard it. They certainly did though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom