Songwriting...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mojocaster.com, Dec 20, 2009.

1. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I have always written songs - I just didn't use to share them ;)

I am enjoying it. This is not an easy time in my life right now, and writing a song usually helps me, either directly or indirectly, express some emotions that otherwise would remain unprocessed as it were...

I find that the last 10 or so songs I wrote came to me and were all finished in 15 to 30 minutes. Another 30 minutes to record, and here you have a song in under an hour.

Writing the lyrics for me is the easiest thing. All it requires is my laptop and sitting down in front of it. Once I start, the rest comes on its own. Sort of flows out as it were.

I notice that I write more at night than any other time.

I have always been interested in writing. Heck, here's a true story: when I first got to College, I was very much in love with this girl. I wrote a book for her - that's right, a book. A whole dang book.

I thought it was wicked romantic.

She thought it was creepy.

Guess it wasn't meant to be ;D :eek: ??? ::)

2. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

This right here is why I feel its important to share our love or music, our art if you will, with others. They may be going through the same things in their lives - whether good or bad and we as musicians and artists can help soothe that feeling.

My life is a constant soundtrack and music is what keeps the heart in my chest beating so I can put one foot in front of the other and keep movin' on.

Let's hear some of those originals Mojo!

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Well, not saying they're worth listening to, but the latest ones I wrote and recorded I published here:

http://mojotwanger.wordpress.com/category/original-music/

Amusingly enough, between the time I posted the first post and this one, I wrote another song... maybe I'll record it this PM.

4. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

Great stories Mojo. I tend to edit while I write which severely stifles my creativity. I am trying to learn to just let it flow and then get back to it. Perhaps this week I will work on just filling up some pages. No judgements or editing, just fill up the pages.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the writing,
    john

5. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Thanks! I don't write songs to sell them in Nashville or elsewhere, I write them as a coping mechanism for me when life throws me a curve ball, be that a positive thing or a negative thing. I never re-write a song, for example, which I understand real songwriters do. I am sure that they could be technically better songs if I did, but they wouldn't be as accurate to the moment as when they were written, which at the end of the day is what my "win" is in this process...

... plus, I am too damn lazy :D