Sonic character of Emi Texas Heat?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by KnowTalent, Jan 30, 2015.

1. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

I recently installed a brand new 16 ohm Texas Heat in a Bandit 112 (current Chinese model). The 16 ohm TH is rated @ 100.8 db SPL and no one seems to know what the sensitivity is on the stock emi 8 ohm Blue Marvel

The TH has a defineable graininess (relative to Blue Marvel) and I am wondering if this is always present or will this subside as the speaker "breaks in"?

I also am running higher volume levels to get same relative SPL so I'm wondering if what I'm hearing is amp clipping or speaker?

If I want smoother clean can I assume the 8 ohm version would be a better solution in that it would give me more headroom?

2. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Member

I'm just guessing but what you may be hearing could be the mis-match between the (incorrect) 16ohm speaker and a solid state amp with an OT that really wants to see an 8ohm load?

I have a couple of Texas Heats in my amps and from my experience with them they don't clip/break up easily at all, even in extremely loud amps like a Twin Reverb those speakers stay solid.

I suspect you would get a better result with the correct 8ohm version of the TH.

3. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

Thanks for your input. I think I'll try the 8ohm versions

4. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

I have 2 in my Twin Reverb and they sound clean and full. Love them!

5. SeanF

SeanF Member

a solid-state amp with an output transformer? :huh

I suspect he's just hearing the amp more clearly than he's ever heard it, and doesn't like the sound.

abnerfm likes this.