Sonic differences between Ron Ellis Strat pups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Anthony Gring, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Considering ordering some Ellis. I haven't tried contacting him yet. Heard a response may take a while. So , could anyone give an opinion on the differences in sound between the 50's , 50/60's, and 60's sets ? Do any or all come w/ a RWRP middle pup? Looking for set that would best suit my CS '56 relic strat w/ all maple neck. Thanks !

2. CS'56

CS'56 Member

If you get in contact with him he will go over his pick up sets and answer and questions about his pickups. I haven't heard them yet so I really can't give an opinion. I know the 50/60's have the magnets on the wound strings for the 50's set and the magnets for the 60's set are used on the plain strings

3. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Emphasis added. I've had a very difficult time getting a hold of him at all times of the day save middle of the night. I caught him once when I placed my order and sent him the money.

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

5. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

No disrespect intended, but if your Strat is using its stock pickups then that is a pretty darn nice set as is.

6. Anthony Gring

None taken. However, the pups that came stock in the '56 CS relic sounded not great to my ears. I have Sheptone AB customs in it now. Lot's better, but they are not as loud as any of my other SC pups in the starts & teles I own. FWIW, I have John Cruz pups in a WW 10 '65 CS Strat relic. They sound rather dark & wooly to me. Thinking of swapping these out. Well, " What DO you like? " you are probably asking. I just got a Danocaster S style RW board that came with some of the last Rocketfire Total 60's pups. Could be the guitar and/or the pups but the tone out of it is now my Gold Standard for perfect strat tone to MY ears. The only issue I have with the guitar is that it's a chunky C neck. I have small hands and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to adapt to it. Too bad Rocketfires no longer available ( unless you get a whole guitar ) Ron Ellis is a year wait. I could be dead by then. So, I dunno, Mares SS or Josies, Kleins, Bareknuckles, Sliders.......

7. LonesomeCraig

LonesomeCraig Member

I would suggest placing your order now for the Ellis pickups of your choice.

Then contact Aaron Campbell at Rupmelstiltskin Pickups. Tell him the history of the pickups that have been in that Strat and what you didn't like about them, then give him your wish list of what you hope it to sound like.

You will have a very good chance at nailing the sound you are looking for at an affordable price. Then a year or so later you will have another chance with the Ron Ellis pickups!

8. M40A1

M40A1 Member

FWIW, I just paypal'd some cash for a set of Eliss' 50/60s (hot bridge). These will replace the Cruz's in my Cruz-built '59 WW 10. When I spoke with Ron about a month ago he said his wait was about seven months. I'm prepared to wait regardless.

9. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

I've been running a set of Mid-60'w for about 8 months, love them. Will be installing a set of 50/60's this weekend in a very similar strat (same specs and set up). Will report back.

10. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

That's actually wrong. The 50/60 set uses an alnico 5 on the bottom three strings, but a different one than on his mid 60's set. The top three strings use a alnico 3 magnets, which are not used on his late 50's set.

11. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

That's actually wrong. The 50/60 set uses an alnico 5 on the bottom three strings, but a different one than on his mid 60's set. The top three strings use a alnico 3 magnets, which are not used on his late 50's set.

To the OP:
    50's: chimey
    60's: punchy, middy, fundamental
    59/60's: sweet, overtones, breathy

12. throbert

throbert Member

I have the Strat 50/60 hot Bridge set and it took about 9 months to get. I really didn't have any great expectations and I would say they are perfect for what I wanted. Beautiful sounding pickups. Too bad the wait is so long along with the prepay. I would love to have a Tele set.

13. Anthony Gring

OP here. Thanks for the reply albeit a little late. I simply didn't want to wait that long. YMMV.....

14. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder