Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300 Mini or Peterson StromboStomp HD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GeorgeTheBarbarian, Nov 24, 2019.

1. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Caved and ordered a Peterson. Will be waiting till Christmas to open.

Adagietto likes this.
  2. pyna

pyna Member

i went through this question a couple weeks ago but also considered the non-mini turbo tuner.

went with the mini, after a week I think i shoulda gone for the non-mini - cause in hindsight the “always on” mode and battery would make it more useful with some of my synth nonsense.

don’t think you can really go wrong here though. i have a peterson clip on, and was worried whether i’d like the rotating led more or less than the lcd. having seen both now i can say that for me i really don’t have a preference.

3. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I have two Peterson models and two Sonic Research, the mini and regular.

They’re both great companies, I use the miniSR and the full-sized on boards that go out, and the Peterson tuners in the studio.

It has nothing to due with performance it has to do with a visual aspect. The red, spinning LED displays of the SR models are easier to see on dimly lit stages/settings, and as “Boomer”, my eyes are not what they once were.

I have one of the first digital Peterson models that I use on my bench for acoustic and electric setups, and a Strobostomp that floats around the live room for anyone who needs it.

When tracking, I don’t usually use my pedalboards.

Typically you want the most pure signal path you can get, both recording chain and guitar chain-wise. Since my big board has tons of pedals on it and the smaller one has 5, and for the typical live setting, none of them are even on, I don’t use them while recording. The floating SS gets used in that setting.

4. scottl

scottl Member

Not true at all. The Peterson is accurate to .1 cent. The Turbo Tuner is .02 cents. Much more accurate. Real world, they both work well, but the Peterson is not even close to as accurate. Technically speaking....

I replaced my Peterson with an ST200 years ago. Recently replaced that with the St-300. Very happy. Totally visable in the brightest of stages and super accurate. I intonate my own axes and it is sweet. Also, has the Feiten offsets. My vote is for the Sonic Research since it is much more accurate (since I do my setups with it).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  5. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Had both but prefer the TurboTuner. ST300 here.

6. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

This fact had escaped me until now. I assumed the Peterson was as accurate as my Turbo Tuner. Crisis averted!

7. GeorgeTheBarbarian

GeorgeTheBarbarian Member

Does it make a difference in real life?

ellis dee and Adagietto like this.
  8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

The Peterson is just as accurate as Turbo Tuners, they explained how and why in a older thread about it.
    It's a marketing mistake IMO, the last few post is clear enough evidence. They should use the cool numbers Sonic Research use... :)

9. 808

808 Member

Nope, the human ear can't even come close to recognizing 0.1 cents.

Zakor, ellis dee, Adagietto and 3 others like this.
  10. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Found it:

ellis dee, blackba, Roe and 2 others like this.
  11. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

What kind of tuning machines do you have on your guitar? Sounds like they’re supernaturally precise.

ellis dee and GeorgeTheBarbarian like this.
  12. kakev

kakev Member

I remember vaguely that I’ve read Peterson listing specs differently. To tune to accuracy of 0.1 cent you need to have readout to one tenth of that. And TT is listing the display readout. Those are 2 different things. So I believe in terms of tuning accuracy these are comparable.

ellis dee and GeorgeTheBarbarian like this.
  13. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

IMO, readout is all that matters. So how would I adjust the “roll rate” referenced above for greater accuracy? Because if the display doesn’t operate like the Sonic Research, whether or not dogs can hear it, why would I buy it?

EDIT: either I'm blind, or there's no instructions for changing the roll rate in the manual.

http://76.12.22.162/media/pdf/StroboStomp_HD_Manual_v1.1_EN.pdf

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  14. scottl

scottl Member

Hey, I own both brands (I have two older Peterson models). I prefer the visibility of the ST300. Both the Peterson and Sonic Research tuners are much more accurate than the other brands. I love the size and visibility of the TT. Plus I am a sucker for the “specs”. Good to know about the Peterson explanation.

ellis dee and Help!I'maRock! like this.
  15. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Do you find any difference in accuracy between them?

16. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

TT mini all day

Silver Hand likes this.
  17. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

The "roll rate" is fine as-is IMO. It might just be for satisfying special needs, including the need to tweak. Out of the box, it seems to me that the Peterson tunes as easily and accurately as a Turbo, if not easier.

I was told the roll rate has to be adjusted via Peterson Connect. That means plugging the tuner into a computer running Google Chrome, then visiting the website. [Don't get me started on Chrome or the requirement to use it for anything.]

18. scottl

scottl Member

Never noticed. I do prefer the size and easy to see readout of the Turbo Tuner. That is why I replaced the Peterson. Of course, the more accurate specs (on paper) was a bonus in my mind, but not why I got the ST-300.

19. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Thanks. I have the TT mini. Interested in the Peterson only because of price for a second board. Just weighing my options.

20. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Received the Peterson last night. I like the simplicity of the Turbo Tuner better. No side buttons to accidentally press. The Peterson clicks on and off out of bypass and takes a moment to register unless you’re in monitor mode. The Turbo responds instantly when you click it on. That said there’s no denying the display of the Peterson. You can’t beat it for $85, but I don’t know if there’s a winner at full price.

blackba likes this.