Sonic Stomp/Sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dorfmeister, Oct 11, 2008.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I am interested in getting one of these but do not have an opportunity to play through one.

Do you like them or not? Does it help your tone?

Does modulation or delay mess with its effects?

I want to use it for direct recording and then add modulation and delay in my Daw.

Any thoughts?

2. doublee

doublee Member

It doesnt get major love here, but for me playing clean country-esque, its a great pedal. This sort of sound is not TGP territory. It borders on a compression effect but it does another speaker phase mojo that is great if you want a crystal clear enhancement, I like it alot for the music type described above. Its subtle and i leave it on always now. Maybe at high volume its not noticeable, its that subtle, but at room volume its hard to go back without it.

3. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

It is a very interesting pedal. It adds some clarity and high end, but most importantly it changes the phase of the sound - basically it makes the low frequencies match up with the high frequencies. However that is done...

I ditched mine ultimately because it is more of a "hi-fi" sound and I realized I prefer my tone without it. But it's really a cool pedal to try out.

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I have the pedal, and I have to say, it's a tone killer. For awhile I thought it was enhancing my tone, but after awhile I started to notice that it negatively affects the dynamics of your tone. IF you already have great gear and a great tone, don't worry about it...It's an aural illusion many have taken the bait for...

5. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I don't know. I use it as an effect. Mostly when I'm playing at studio volumes ( <90 dB) to give a tight boost to low and high frequencies on the crunch channel, but I use my EQ only in similar situation on my lead channel. I wouldn't call it an illusion. It's just another tool.

6. pitner

pitner Member

I bought one when they first came out to see if my old 1959 Guild amp could get some country spank to it. Always had a dark tone and even pushing the trebles never really fixed it. For my amp it did the job and now with the aid of compression EQ and the BBE I can finally get a great clean tone. I guess it depends on the setup and amp.

7. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

I think it works great as long as it isn't over used. It can make your sound very "over-processed". However, with modest settings, it cleared up my tone and took some of the mud out of it. I use a Fender Blues Junior and it helped remove some of the boxiness associated with the amp's small cabinet. Doesn't reshape your tone or make mediocre gear sound boutique but it will enhance the sonic qualities of your tone. Most studios worth their salt have the rack mounted version.

8. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Anybody know if speaker emulation should go before or after the maximizer?

Or maybe it doesn't matter?

9. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I think it's a awesome pedal. I think a lot of country guitar players are using them now. I like using it when playing leads though the dirty chanell, it helps to cut through.

Shane

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Great for bass guitar!

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

most pro sound guys will tell you that the "sonic maximizer" effect is kinda like salt on food: if the dish is bland and unsatisfying, adding salt can help, but if the dish is already good, adding salt just messes it up.

that, plus the fact that there don't seem to be any actual specs on which frequency bands get "aligned" or by how much, makes me a little suspicious of it.

12. brianf

brianf Member

I love mine. I don't know how to describe it. It just seem the sound is "More" if you get my drift. Mine is always on no matter what amp I use.

Just buy one. They are less than 100.00 and if you don't like it it will be sold in minutes on the emporium here.

brianf

13. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I have one and only use it on my Fender Champ 600 hich I have to keep pretty low in my apartment. It helps dial in the highs to make it sound like it normally does with the volume up quite a bit. Without it the amp sounds too dark and junky with humbuckers. That being said I hate it with any other amp especially if you are playing at a decent volume. I almost sold it until I realized that it can be used to help my Champ on the Low channel with the volume turned down real low (around 4 or 5).

14. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

imho i love the bbe! i use the old stinger,a 262 half rack & a customized 422A models! try it you might really like them?

15. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i have one that i used to have on and off my board, finally i just mounted it underneath to brighten up my Les Paul a little.... it adds some punch, is a great buffer, and tightens up almost every distortion pedal out there. things sound better with it on, thats about the bottom line. i think of it more as an EQ/Buffer than effect, but can see where people get the hi-fi sound from. If you take your time dialing it in it doesn't sound as digital, and at higher volumes its not as noticable. roll back the highs a little if it sounds too processed. Great little pedal. mines rehoused to get rid of its only drawback (the footprint).

16. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I have yet to dial it over 50%. They could have just done the cut off there and gave more control. I think that 50% is plenty and sometimes is pushing the limit.