Sonny Landreth in a box?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jason Lynn, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Seems most of the cats looking for a dumble in a box are looking for that R. Ford tone. I want that glassy distortion Sonny gets with his though...anyone have luck getting close to that sound with a pedal?

2. sandman

sandman Member

Whoa...a tough one! :munch

Anyway, I believe Sonny himself recommends a Keeley comp for slide work...

3. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Tell me about it! For some reason I've never tried throwing a compressor down which is kind of odd considering almost all my faves do that. L. George, etc.. That may help but I still want that freakin distorted tone he gets....it is heavenly:drool

I really don't expect anyone to hit in the right direction (short of the buy a dumble comments)...but worth discussing.

4. pauldogx

pauldogx Member

You hear the "it's in his hands" comment alot---but I think applies even more so to someone like Sonny. I think alot of his slide mojo really is in his hands with the way he attacks the strings and the way he mutes. His pick style playing(like with John Hiatt) is a little more traditional sounding.

5. soundbee

soundbee Member

sandman's def on to it. Take any drive pedal (TS9 type, etc.) , run at a lower then normal gain, and put a compressor in front. My favs are the opto-types (Maxon cp101, etc.) This acts like another gain stage without adding a lot of mush. Also, works well in front of a semi-distorted amp to push it over the edge a bit.

6. JPF

JPF Member

Naw, that's a cop-out. His tone's definately from a stomp-box. I mean, how else are you going to get all of those fretted notes, bends and slurs from behind the slide? ;) Sonny's a treasure, alright.

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Yeah, I'd have to second the compressor idea.

8. sandman

sandman Member

yeah, comp plus something like a TS with clean blend should do the job...hmmmmmm, maybe I should stick an EQ into Tim's loop and bump the mids...Tim's got a sort of a clean blend thang going.

Sparkle Drive? Could it be that simple?

I somehow also believe his choice of axes has a lot to do with his tone...

Lowell, Sonny..such great slide players. May I add Rainer (Ptacek) and Chris Whitley to the bunch. Both RIP.

9. Curly

Curly Member

there's a fair amount of gear info on his site, but besides his Demeter, Dumble, and Matchless amps, he boosts his mids with a Demeter pedal which gives even his strats a very FAT tone

in addition, some heavy strings

10. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I'm a HUGE Sonny Landreth fan. And Lowell George, and Derek Trucks, and Bonnie Raitt (GREAT slide tone), and definitely David Lindley. But my favorite, tone-wise, has got to be Ry Cooder. Greatest slide tone ever! But I don't dare even try and go in that direction. He's got to be praying to aliens or something with that tone of his. Real scary!

11. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

Sonny is from another planet--period. EJ/Trower/Blackmore tones are easy to get compared to his sound...

12. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Are we avoiding pointing out that he purveys his flawless technique through a DUMBLE for any particular reason?

13. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I'm certainly no expert, but a good compressor will help.
    Also try using your fingers instead of a pick.

14. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Sonny is one of those muso's who is not of this world when it comes to playing slide.It makes absolute sense that his sound comes from the pedals(snicker).

15. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

A compressor in front of a TS type eh? Man, when I heard him he had a TON of gain. Very thick distortion. I was assuming he was going through the FET section of his dumble. I've got a Tim and a sparkle drive and even a mod'd soundtank ts9 somewhere. Only compressor I've got is an old Dynacomp...I'll see where that gets me.

As far as the other comments...guys, I'm not an idiot. Slide is not new to me...I'm well aware of where the musical aspect of Sonny's tone comes from. There is a character to his distortion that is not a usual suspect...it has nothing to do with his slide tone. I am curious how to get there....not how to play like Sonny. Can you get there without a Dumble? I doubt it but want to see if anyone has gotten close.

16. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

His tone on Sister Morphine is one of my all time faves!

17. ando

ando Supporting Member

it seems to me when i saw him he was playing strats with some type of lace or hotter pickups too...they were not standard strat pickups...

18. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

It says on his site he uses a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 with his Demeter as one of his touring rigs. I just did some youtube'ing and couldn't find a good clip to demonstrate what I'm looking for. None of them had him driving his Dumble which is what he had when I saw him. That amp has the secret sauce. He still sounds great (and like he always does) but the tone didn't have that shimmery upper mid distortion I'm lustin for. The closest I've gotten was running my red llama into a 70's JMP. I could see where a compressor would add some mojo though now that I'm listening for it. Thanks guys.

19. gregory49

gregory49 Member

i would think a TS or Zendrive would get you close with a good comp. In all honesty though unless you have his slide technique and his touch down your not even gonna come close.. same thing with trucks.. no one will ever come close to his tone..

Duane's tone is a little more sterile not quite as hard as you can see from the Greg Germino videos on his site, not taking away anything from Greg what i mean is that its not impossible to come close and Greg nails it. Trucks and Landreth are a different story.

20. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

The resounding suggestion of a comp seems to be the big ticket. I'm gonna go that route. I have plenty of OD's to put after one. I guess my dynacomp is probably as good as any to start with anyways.

I just like the character of the distortion he gets. I don't even want to begin trying to play like him. My slide playing is way more of the Mississippi Hill variety...and I'm good with that. I think Trucks tone would be easier to nail than Sonny's his phrasing however is another thing. He's got that wicked "Indian" slur thang happenin.

Duane's rig was always pretty simple. I love his tone too.