"Sons of Liberty" on History Channel

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DrumBob, Jan 27, 2015.

1. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Is anyone else watching this on History Channel? It's engrossing. I'm really enjoying it.

2. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

I've been recording them, but haven't watched any, yet. Looking forward to it though - is it good?

3. 59refin

59refin Member

I just got through watching it, and yes it was enjoyable. However Star Wars had about an equal amount of factual info on the American Revolution as SOL.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

That's the way to do it, otherwise you'll be sitting through THE SAME achingly annoying Microsoft / Sam Adams commercials every couple of minutes.

That's about what I expect from The History Channel. ;) I don't mind a good dramatized version of historical events (just for entertainment purposes), but I think it was a little funny to hear George Washington say "Bat sh*t crazy." ;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  5. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Kind of like Christian Bales' Moses saying, "I don't THINK so.

6. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

I watched the first episode. I think I may have to do a cleanse by watching John Adams and re-reading a biography of Washington.

Starting with a ninja chase scene really sets the mood.

Also hilarious, Paul Revere's Boston accent.

My 12 year old loves it, though.

7. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I half expected a Franklinesque-inventor character named Mad Jack to show up with a (steam/whale oil/electric-powered?) proto-motorcycle, preparing to outfit a small band of others---a "gang", if you will--- with a similar conveyance.

8. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

are all the Brits effeminate poofts that speak in falsetto?

all ive seen so far is the SA commercial

I doubt the Brits were really like that. those dudes kicked washingtons ass in the battle of NY.

9. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Great show...watched my first episode last night and plan to watch the ones I missed prior today...

10. Rimbaud

Hahaha...my 9 year old Nephew watches Downton Abbey and says he likes it because when they speak English its way cooler than the way we do.

11. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

Finally watched the whole thing. Don't know why I bothered...guess I'm just a sucker for anything historic, although this was really more like Die Hard: Revolution. Seriously, I don't think there was a single accurate fact in the entire thing. They even got the date of the Declaration signing wrong.

At least they incorporated John Adams' famous quote: "I have a plan."

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  12. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

I couldn't make it through a full episode.

13. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

you should have stuck with it. It got worse. To the point it lapped itself into hilarity.

14. Rimbaud

Watched 'the Crossing' came out 2000 starring Jeff Daniels...about the Battle of Trenton...

I live on the River Road midway between Trenton and Washingtons Crossing go to the annual reenactment of the crossing almost every year.

The movie was pretty much historically accurate, uniforms, gear, boats, etc.
    Jeff Daniels was the same age, weight and height GW was at the time of the crossing.

The one weak link was the accents...;

One scene a Colonial soldier ad libs a line...he walks up to a captured Hessian soldier and yells out in a Tony Soprano accent..'What are you lookin' at?!' and then slaps him in the head.

It was a good Trenton accent, albeit some 250 years too soon.

15. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

This is making it sound like a live action version of the Time Squad episode about the Boston tea party.

16. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Better off getting you facts from Dennis ,Mac, Charlie Sweet Dee and Frank Renyolds....The gang cracks the liberty bell sounds like better history

17. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

If you guys want a good laugh (or a good shaking of the head in sad disbelief), check out the reviews on IMDB that criticize the people criticizing it for it's lack of accuracy. There's only three or four but they pretty much all read like, "All these people are whiners! Who cares of it's not accurate?! I work all day and the last thing I want is to listen to people talking like it's 250 years ago!"

18. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Wow welcome to 'merica.

19. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I also have a somewhat silly pet peeve with this series as I do with most movies/series about the Revolution and that is that they almost always use the wrong steeple for Independence hall. The one they always use - the current version with the clocks - was built in 1828. The original steeple had large arched openings where the clocks are and it was inside that space where the Liberty Bell hung. It was demolished in 1781 due to structural problems.

I just bugs me because considering all the research they do, they should be able to get this right.

20. newking70

newking70 Member

the commercials were dreck....i'am surprised the pawn stars and hitler didn't make cameo appearances.