Sonuus wahoo and Sonuus voluum

gopherchucks

Digitally controled analog pedals seem to be pretty popular recently and I'm wondering why I haven't heard much love about the sonuus pedals. Ive really been going back and forth about taking the plunge and adding both of these to my rig but they take quite a bit of real estate and Im wondering if its worth it. Anyone that has one or both or has had either Id really like to know your opinions. Thanks!

gopherchucks

My biggest selling points were the wah sounds, the formant sounds, and the adsr in the voluum. I know its digital but the strymon Mobius seems to do most of these things. Theres a few things i know the strymon cannot do, but how do these units compare in terms of sound quality??

theRagman

Gold Supporting Member
I liked the Wahoo quite a bit for functionality, but I really disliked the user interface. That's probably more about my preferences than anything, since I increasingly dislike menu diving, and they really did a pretty good job with the real estate available.

The filters sound great, and you can get an awesome range of cool sounds from them, from classic wah to phaser sounds to synth sounds, and the modulation capabilities are fantastic.

One thing I will say is that the filters are somewhat noisy. I've gone through a LOT of filters over the years (I love filters!) and for whatever reason, it seems like the cooler a filter is, the noisier it is. The Wahoo filters have a great sound, but you will have to be willing to put up with a bit of hiss to use them.

I had a Mobius, and found the filters to be serviceable digital filters. I haven't yet met a digital filter I thought had a ton of personality, and that held true for the Mobius. Good enough for basic filter duty, but not nearly as much fun as a good analog filter.

Mr2D

They're good and useful, but they're enormous and hog power (400ma each). The Voluum also suffered from slighlyt schizophrenic chain placement needs as it's a comp, volume/autoswell and tremolo, all of which I want at different points in my chain. If they could set it to be pre/post it'd be killer.

Edit to add - I now have a Mobius in their place.

canbaz

I have both. Great pedals if you like very deep editing and synthy sounds. If you have crazy ideas you can program whatever you want. IMHO, they are excellent for composing. You can create very unique sounds from them. If you combine them with delay and/or pitch shift pedals you can get lovely ambient sounds.

For gigging, they may cause some problems if you try to modify or program presets live, because they are very deep and prone to mistakes. Though they have very nice factory presets, setlist modes and you can lock the pedal to avoid any accidents during your gigs.

These are very complex pedals. You should have some ideas about how synths work and read their manuals in depth before trying to program them. Otherwise they won't be useful. They have nice editors and they are easier to program with the editor. You can program them without connecting them to a computer, however this is very hard for complex edits while this is OK for some simple edits.

gopherchucks

I appreciate your replies. Yes, I've worked with synthesizers before, and I am using the boss sy300 as well so I understand how synthesizers work so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The other concerns about power requirement and placement I believe will be fine. I'm going to be running the boss es8 and as soon as Sweetwater gets the Strymon zuma in I will be adding that for high ma pedals.

I plan to use these with the boss sy300, nemesis, whammy dt, and a few dirt pedals. Do you think that pretty much covers all the bases?

The one thing I'm not sure about is how the wahoo handles midi. Will I need to get a ghost converter from disaster area? And a thru box for all this midi equipment?

Anyways, it sounds like the analog filters are quality and can do some cool sounds. Can they eq your dirt pedals like a parametric eq would?

The boss sy300 has some really cool sounds especially for your 80s synth tones. The biggest thing that the boss sy300 lacks is an analog feel and a adsr which I was planning on using the sonuus pedals in conjuction to achieve?

Do u think that will get me there, and do u guys think that the board would have to be too big or that I could make it work?? Sorry this is so long but thanks for the help, I appreciate it!!

canbaz

Yes, you will need a USB MIDI host if you want to connect the Wahoo without a computer to other MIDI pedals. Voluum does not need this. If you get the pedals, don't forget to update their firmwares and download the updated manuals. They have new features, e.g. Voluum has a strobe tuner (Sonuus was the developer for Peterson) and advanced MIDI functionalities (sending LFO & ADSR MIDI).

You can use a filter (Wahoo has 2) like an EQ but I'm not sure whether this will be enough for your needs. A parametric EQ has many filters on different frequencies, so you can control your tone precisely. You need to try and see.

Your other questions are very personal, sorry I cannot answer because all these depend on your tastes. Maybe your sy300 and Sonuus pedals will cover the same area and you will stop using one of them. :)

jondom22

Silver Supporting Member
I've been so curious about the Sonuus Wahoo for so long, but the reviews have been pretty sparse, and the demos not really great. Now that they've been out in the wild for years, and not really talked about much, how do users/former users feel about it's sounds...specifically the Low Pass Filter? It's the only analog filter pedal with both LFO and sweep with midi/presets but never seemed to catch on with many people.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom