Sony Minidisk to PC for recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dc_jcm800, Jun 18, 2008.

1. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

I have a Sony Minidisk player and some disks of old shows I would like to convert to cd's or mp3's.

There is a mic input and headphone out, minijack.

Can anyone recommend an interface and software. I would really like to start using this more.

thanks.

2. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I've got stacks of old mini discs from shows that I've only recently started to go through. I use Sound Forge. No interface necessary unless your sound card doesn't have a stereo, line-level aux input (every one I've ever had or seen has one.)

Watch your output level, not for overloading the software, but for the noise floor (hiss coming from the mini disc player itself.) If it's too loud, you'll hear it without even pressing play. I've learned to use the headphone output with the volume set very low. Then when I'm done I just globally raise the volume with the software.

Things that suck are that you're transferring in real time and cutting up the file into correct tracks. It just takes a while and becomes tedious (hence my big stacks.)

So I just bought :this: and love it. Super small, no mechanical noise, holds a ton of music and transfering via USB doesn't add any noise and is super fast. There are better recorders out there, but to replace my MD for what I used it for, this thing rocks.

3. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Thanks Funky.
    Maybe I'll give it a shot. I have maybe a dozen disks.
    I'd like to keep using it, because with a good stereo mic I get nice live recordings.
    Ultimately, its probably time to just upgrade.

4. unoguitar

unoguitar Member

5. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    You can just patch it into your computer through the headphone out to your computer's line in. But you will get better quality if you use an audio interface.

I had a mini disk that I loved. With a decent stereo mic it was a formidable piece for such a little setup. I even recorded a demo on it- used a Tascam 4 track as a mixer and went straight out to the mini disk, and dare I say it held up to some of the local studio recordings done around here at the time. Then I lent it to a friend and got it back 3 months later in pieces... :(

6. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Thanks everyone.
    I think I'll upgrade soon. I have some good info to atleast get my disks transfered.
    Plus, I'm trying to capture all the new sounds my 2 1/2 month old girl is making. She chats it up every day!

That Sony looks perfect for that.

peace!

7. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I have been sitting on a work project for about a year now - 40 hours of lectures recorded on minidisk. I started the transfer on Monday and am about half way through. I use a Motu 896HD interface along with Wavelab (I am doing this at home with my studio stuff). I requested that work pick up a flash drive recorder for any future projects - major pain.