Soon to be released Egnater Tweaker 40-Gig worthy?

dmarkj22

These little amps are really nice but I was wondering if Egnater amps in general are reliable enough to take to gigs. I have heard about reliability issues in the past but I wanted to know what you think. I really want to get one.

Vintage55

I bought a Tweaker Combo in Feb. Within 2 weeks it began to develop problems. I replaced all the tubes. No change. Then it died completely. Near the end of March I began trying to get Egnater to respond to an initial email and then numerous phone calls about the problem and finally convinced them I needed an RA to send to the nearest service center for repair. Three weeks just to get the RA. Shipped April 21, arrived the next day. Still at the service center. It took numerous emails to Ian at Egnater, with the last CC'd to Bruce. Still no amp.

You think I would buy another Egnater?

dmarkj22

I bought a Tweaker Combo in Feb. Within 2 weeks it began to develop problems. I replaced all the tubes. No change. Then it died completely. Near the end of March I began trying to get Egnater to respond to an initial email and then numerous phone calls about the problem and finally convinced them I needed an RA to send to the nearest service center for repair. Three weeks just to get the RA. Shipped April 21, arrived the next day. Still at the service center. It took numerous emails to Ian at Egnater, with the last CC'd to Bruce. Still no amp.

Man, I'm really sorry about your awful experience. I have heard the same with others as well. Too bad. Thanks.

MartinCliffe

I gig with my Tweaker 15s. Never had any issues. I've heard of the odd problem but it seems the vast majority of users are happy with them. Of course you nearly always only hear about people who have issues with products (or are completely besotted with them).

A

_arvin

It seems that the heads are generally more reliable than the combos. The chassis is right side up (heat dissipation issues), and not in the same box as the speaker (vibration issues).

gm1276

I'm not sure of their sales volume, but I feel like it has to be high. You're much more likely to hear of problems with a company selling 100,000 amps a year than one selling 1,500. So there is that to consider. I was going to wait for the Tweaker 88, but I can't believe it has a shared EQ for both channels. I went with the Renegade head. Gigged it last night -- performed well. I do worry about reliability because of what I've heard, however. P/O bought a transferrable GC warranty -- hope I don't have to use that, though.

NyteOwl

Gold Supporting Member
I've gigged with both my Renegade and Rebel 30 heads for over a year and have had absolutely no issues with either. Can't wait for my Tweaker 40 head to arrive...

mattekelly

Also gig my original Tweaker head and cab, going on a year now. Its my only amp at the moment. No issues to speak of. Plenty loud as well, for what I do.

germs

other guitar player uses a Rebel 30 head.

sounds pretty good, no issues that i noticed. we regularly have one 3-4 hour practice and one show per week, so we're definitely putting it through the paces.

couldn't speak as to the Tweaker's reliability etc in general, but the Egnater stuff seems as solid as anything else.

shooto

I've gigged my Tweaker 15 many times...no worries...other than not being loud enough a couple times...but we play loud-

RockManDan

i have the tweaker 15 that i use at church every week for a 2 hour rehearsal and then two services on sunday. its never given me any problems.

Astounding

I bought this amp even after reading peoples stories of them breaking quickly.

What a mistake.

My Tweaker 40 head burned up in 3 days, before I could even turn it up to half or see if the tone was right for me. It randomly shut off, then blew new fuses I installed. Guitar Center's 30 day return policy saved the day, luckily. I'm just glad I was practicing at home and not playing a gig when it happened. When it comes to an amplifier, I strongly believe that reliability is paramount for the working musician. A 600 dollar product should not break in 3 days.

I thought I'd share my story and help get the word out there.

shooto

^weird...my 40 is super strong and it's been my main gig amp since they came out...no problems at all...

sounds like you got a bad apple (it happens)...wouldn't let it ruin the barrel though

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
I have an 88 head. I run it at rehearsal volumes every day. Also have once a week rhearsals and have done 1 gig with it. No problems thus far. Sounds fantastic for such a low priced amp. LOVE the cleans!

Tweaker82

My Tweaker 40 died after about a month of use. Fuses kept blowing, so I sent it back for a repair. Some electrolytic cap was apparently the culprit, and it was changed. Just got the amp back. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

Trending Topics