Sooo many great amps...how can you settle on one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leonc, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I know there are guys out there who are happy with one amp. They've found the one and only amp that they need to be happy and get their sound. But man...I just can't do it. There are soooo many cool sounding amps and sooo many different sounds. I just can't settle on one.

I'm amazed when I encounter folks who are happy to settle for one (and I'm not talking about guys who don't have the dough for more than one). If you've settled on one, I'm curious, why? Do you play mostly one, consistent musical style? Or do you feel that it's too much trouble learning to deal with more than one?

2. Joe

Joe Senior Member

I have just my Diesel VH4-S now.

If you do covers you need a lot of tones, if you have an original sound you maybe locked into a single tone to keep a consistant song to song. In the end, Eric Johnson sounds like Eric because of his fingers, not the never ending array of amps he is using.

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have pretty much settled into my UG 30 now. The cleans are just incredible, and I actually like the overdrive tones with a Fulldrive or Mudhoney more than my favorite gain amps for overdrive! (E.Pro and Fuchs.) My amp collection is way down, and is going to get even thinner. I have found that as much as I like some other amps, once they are here, I just never use them.

4. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

hey Leon,

What amps do you have right now? Does one in particular get the most playing time?

5. ROKY

ROKY Member

Me either.

I could, but I won't .

I can't, so I don't ..

6. hemlock

hemlock Guest

For me, as my playing sloooowly improves I hear different things in my head that my hands will finally allow me to get out. I may be able to get that with a current amp or I may start looking for another. I rarely have more than two amps, though. For those of you who can move easily from bop to blues to country, several amps may indeed be the ticket. For mere mortals like me, one very good amp does fine. I am really happy with the Top Hat SD right now but I can see it going maybe in the not too distant future if the Sewells sound like I think they do.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

If you're out gigging, recording, etc. you may prefer to keep as simple as ya can - strike a compromise between reliabilty, portability, and the design that best suits your range of techniques, musical style and unique personality. You can get a helluva lot of tones from one responsive amp and your hands/head - witness Jeff Beck, Kevin Breit, Ed Bickert, Abercrombie and all the many non-gear-slut pros out their workin'...

8. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Why I have so many, there is no "just one amp".

9. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I guess it depends on the individual.
    Guitarists are usually known for having "their" own tone. They know what they are looking for, and have found an amp style that suits them best.
    I know for me, I'm looking for a killer high gain lead tone, and although I have gone through many many amps, I alway just keep one at a time until I find something that knocks the current favorite from the top.
    For example, I currently have a Cameron modded JMP that is at the top.
    I just purchased a "Super" Shiva from the forum, and I am now in the process of comparing the two in different situatiuons to see which I like better.
    The winner will stay and the other will go up for sale.
    Why would I need to keep them both if one of them sound better to me for what I'm playing? However, I can see a player having two amps at one time if they haven't found a channel switcher they liked and needed both a clean and dirty amp.

Then I guess there are folks who don't really have, or care to have their own signature tone, and enjoy having more than one amp around to have a bunch of different flavors to choose from depending on their mood, and that cool too.

10. Leonc

Right now:

- Vox Pathfinder 15r
    - Divided by 13 FTR37
    - Mojave Scorpion
    - Aiken Tomcat
    - Orange Rockerverb 50
    - Ampeg Reverb-o-rocket II
    - Roccaforte Rockie

The Rockie gets most of my time. The Ampeg and Orange are tied for #2, time-wise. The others haven't been getting as much play time lately.

Truth is, I could play in my own style on pretty much any one of these amps and be happy for a long time. But it's more fun being able to switch it up.

11. JPF

JPF Member

The Koch Multitone allows me to do pretty much anything I'm looking for right now, so that's what I use 90% of my time.

The remaining 10% is usually through my other main amp, a 1x10" 15w Trace Eliott Velocette which is a one-trick pony and sings and when dimed:D

12. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I pretty much use one amp, and have for five years. I only gig once a month or less. I don't have space right now for more than one. It is comfortable for me to know what to expect from my rig. My amp is versatile enough that I can get lots of variety of sound, two channels, and via the intellifex in the loop, etc. It's certainly a heavy sob and hard to move, but it works.

I have listened to a lot of other amps, most have fewer features, so my set-up would need additional stuff, like a wet--dry thing. Many, many amps which sound great for lead or crunch, don't really have an inspiring clean sound. That's why I bought my amp to begin with. I was really bored with Marshalls, and close derivatives, after 20+ years using them. But I'm still really drawn to Marshall distortion, more than Boogie or Dumble sounds, and I would love something more easily transported, so never say never, but not this week.

13. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

What is a "Super" Shiva? Damn, I go on vacation for a couple of weeks and come back to something else new. STOP THE MADNESSSSSSS:FM

14. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

Thankfully stuff like kids college tuition and just plain life have limited me to 3 and if I wasn't so stubborn prolly could live with 2 (one in fender camp and one on the british side). But, I'd like about 6 or 7.............then again as i found out when I had 6 guitars, you can only play one at a time.

15. radialaced

radialaced Member

you can't.....that's why you have to try them all:)

16. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I just have fun going through different amps.
    I like the concept of choice...
    And, like alot of folks here, I'm still on a tone quest of sorts.
    I've been around the block a few times with amps, though, and have a fairly good idea of what I like. My taste for cleans is pretty broad...Fender to Vox to Marshall...it's all good. Overdrive, on the other hand, is a much more specialized area for me. I think you know my preference is in the Dumble area...based on my guitar heroes (Larry, Robben, Luke, Steve Kimock, etc.).
    Getting there has been a bit of a chore (due to the fact that I prefer channel switchers with independent eq), and I think "the hands" have something to do with it. But also, how to match cabs/speakers and amp settings to get the sound one is looking for, is another complex, multifactorial, pursuit.
    Anyway, there is no "one" amp, as has been said. So check them out as you see fit.
    Words to live, and play, by.
    S.
    j

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Leon, for me it's real simple:

I play one amp because I enjoy playing it more than any other amp, and I've played some sweet amps.

I can get all the tones I want and need from this one amp.

I see no need to screw around with happiness. :)

18. Leonc

Agreed...I guess I groove on a variety of flavors of happiness :)

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Agreed...I guess I groove on a variety of flavors of happiness <<

There ya go.

I don't even groove. :D

20. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

WORD.

I have a CLEAR #1....but No's 2-infinity are sure fun to play as well. hey you gotta have a backup, might as well be different!