Sooo, what happens with the big guys if

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Prosvetlen, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

Studio Devil's Amplifire turns out to be a great unit? BTW, I am personally interested in that product and would like as much information/video/audio clips as possible.

2. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

What does your subject even mean????? Nothing happens with the 'big guys'
    if Amplifier works as advertised.

3. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I guess the question is will they continue to hold off on including loadable IRs and keep re-using the same modeling engines if Studio Devil somehow eats their lunch at the $599 pricepoint?

Wrong question, IMHO, because it assumes that they're competing on floor modelers at that range, and aside from the HD500X, none of them really are. The HD500X has significantly more mindshare and marketshare, so I'm not sure how Studio Devil selling a lot of Amplifire units changes even that.

For various reasons, all of the "big guys" are holding back on releasing truly new floor modeling products in that range. So if that's your need and you need it now, go with a "smaller guy".

4. sigmundc

sigmundc Member

Not hard to comprehend, really. If Amplifire makes enough of an impact, then the "big guys" will face some price pressure--and/or more pressure to keep improving what they sell, so they can still justify the price premium they now enjoy.

I say that as a (very) happy Kemper owner. Both they and Fractal are obviously working hard and consistently already to improve and refine their modelers. But, hey, Amplifire may just turn up the heat on them. If so, then as a customer ... So much the better.

5. Crow

Crow Supporting Member

I think it's a fair question to ponder and probably one that the "big guys" are thinking about right now. I would if I was heading one of those companies.

I do think, however, they target different markets. The Kemper and Axe are both amazing units with loyal users (both pro and hobbyists). I think each has their strengths which resonate with different players.

I personally am very excited about the Amplifire and the idea of a simple interface with not tons of options or choices but only they keys one is very appealing to me. Some people want (and may need) it all. I only want something simple.

In any case, love the innovation. Exciting time to be a guitar player with so many options. Kudos to all the manufacturers thinking outside the box and pushing the boundaries.

6. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

No? I beg to differ.

7. Stanislav

Stanislav Member

They will piss their pants.

8. rsm

rsm Member

they may be watching, but I doubt they are worried. may cause improvements in next gen offerings or upgrades to current gen products at best / most.

IMO

9. deanesque

deanesque Member

I have to say.. the demo video of Amplifire sounds really good but when I downloaded the Studio Devil demo the presets were absolutely horrible. I didn't even bother rolling my own.

10. RackFiz

RackFiz Member

Technology can only go so far... there's a limit within availability.

Eventually the "little" guys will catch up to the technology provided by the "big dogs" and in turn force price adjustment to compensate.

However, while audible differences might become rather debatable, there can always be differences in regards to connectivity options/quality, signal noise differences, digital to analog conversation, etc.

If there is a product for $500 that works as well as a current product for $2000, that $2000 product will have to offer hardware perks to remain dominate.

Bottom line, nothing... it all works out somehow, plus, we consumers get more choice.

11. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

It depends on whether their balance sheets are in good enough shape to allow them to make it from the loss-leader stage to the free cashflow-positive stage with growing market share.

Commodore 64 and VisiCalc come to mind.

12. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Did sales of the GSP1101 suddenly multiply exponentially when an unofficial firmware let it load (truncated) third party IRs? The fact that Digitech has released several multi-FX products since then not only without that feature, but in lower price ranges should tell you the answer.

There are now two fairly affordable third party IR-loading units on the market and all can be looped into an RP1000, HD500 or GT100. More will come.

13. Lain

Lain Member

I don't think the amplifire can tackle the Kemper and Axe-Fx. But that's not even the same price range.

So, assuming the other "big guys" left are Line6, Boss, etc., what will happen? Nothing. The will stay the leaders and probably put out a pedal that's as good or better in the future.

14. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

I would expect it would have more of an effect on Fractal/Kemper than the mass produced Guitar Center type products.

It is still pretty high priced compared to the Zoom G3 or RP360, so doesn't really compete with those.

If the sound quality is very good, it could eat away at the Kemper/Fractal sales if you don't need a ton of effects/routing/profiling.

I would imagine it might hasten (if it succeeds) a cheaper Kemper/Fractal floor model with less features than their current offerings.

15. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

I agree. And don't forget what Moore's Law is going to do to Fractal and Kemper.

Late arrivals to a market are often successful because they aren't saddled with legacy issues.

16. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Who are the big guys? Boss, Zoom, Line 6? I suspect they will be just fine, as they selling a lot of other products outside of modeling.

I think everyone is rooting for Amplifire, but its not going to make a dent in the overall market. You can only buy it from Atomic, so anyone who goes into a mom and pop music store, GC, etc will not leave with one. Also, they will have to figure out a way to actually ship one... it's only been a year, but who is counting.

17. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

You DO realize that the bulk of Line 6's, Boss's, Digitech's and Zoom's target audience are NOT TGP members, right?

Most of them have never heard of Kemper and Fractal, much less the concept of IRs... I doubt this will put a dent in their marketshare.

18. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

I agree with that ugly bass player. As good as Amplifire might be, it won't have an impact on the KPA or Axe-Fx at all.

19. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

I assume when people mention the "big guys" they mean Fractal/Kemper. As mentioned above, this will have little to no effect on those two companies in my opinion because it is still 2 entirely different markets. The Amplifier looks very cool inseams like a smart tool to have as a fly rig. I'll take it over eh Tech21 FlyRig any day of the week even at the much higher price point. That and the ISP stealth and you have a nice rig that fits in your carry-on

20. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

Guys, I think that most of you forget something important: for couple of years already the two "big guys" were the sole owners of the high end digital guitar world. They had the best of everything, pretty much. Now, if the Amplifire gives us just a couple of great amp sims, a good compressor and a good gate, since the IR loader is already a fact, then the game changes significantly. What I mean is that all the post-amp effects can be added through the DAWs nowadays. Think about that before comment on my post, just think for a moment and you'll see what I mean. I will go even further: one good clean, one good crunch, and one good dirt/mean tone from the Amplifire, and there will be lots of losses for the "big guys," I think. I might be wrong, of course. But I might be right as well.