SoOoo my Mom gets this official looking tax letter from the fraud prevention dept.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    .... saying something like she has been picked to confirm her identity in an effort to prevent tax fraud. She may have been a victim already, but all she has to do it go to this tax-Ohio gov site and enter her social security number and some other stuff to confirm who she is so she can get her refund. :confused:

Looked pretty dang official to me :waiting I wonder how many elderly peeps fall for this kind of thing?

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

It's probably real. A number of states, including Wisconsin, have started sending verification letters to try to stop tax refund fraud. She can go to her state's Department of Revenue website to verify it's authenticity.

3. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

It's a letter, not an email or some joker on the phone so it could be real, but like Mike says, check it out first.

4. Dr. Tweedbucket

Hmmm I was worried about going to the site and then having them bounce to another site to rip off her ID.

I went through this with paypal once ... someone had a totally authentic fake paypal site setup that looked real. I gave them a totally bogus user name and password and it opened welcoming me and wanting more information! :waiting

5. Peteyvee

Not that site. Your official state tax site or call them on the phone. Get the phone number or web address from somewhere else. Do not go to that site until you verify it independently with your state tax dept...

6. cadduc

cadduc Member

I would not call or access anything given on the letter

but I would call the state tax office and ask them what is up, and if it is valid

7. Peteyvee

Exactly...

8. Dr. Tweedbucket

Yes, thank you, I'm not that dumb. :bonk

:)

Which reminds me of a funny story.

I sold a Fender Strat. The guys sends me a money order for $2000 more than I needed. His wife of course made the mistake, so I was to cut a bank check or cash and refund the difference.

Surrrre! I said. Just for kicks, I called the Bank's phone number on the check. I got an answer welcoming me to some credit union and to listen to the following options because some menu items have changed. My call was being recorded for quality purposes. Anyway, they had the whole thing setup like a real bank ... I was impressed. They verified the check and gave me a reference number!

Anyway, then I looked the real bank up in the phone book and they said, nahhh we never issued that check! :red They didn't even seem interested I had a fake check with their name on it in front of me :confused:

Anyway, these scam do0ds are getting pretty slick!

9. n9ne

n9ne Member

With all the telephone and mail fraud that's happening these days, you'd think they could come up with a better way of notifying people of stuff like this.....but then again, this is the government we're talking about.

A few years ago, my father received a nondescript envelope that looked very much like junk mail, and the letter inside claimed that he had unclaimed refund money waiting for him and had 30 days to claim it. He very nearly threw the letter away as junk mail until he noticed that the URL they listed was a state.gov address...so he checked it out and sure enough it was totally legit, and he ended up getting a check for $4000. (My guess is, the government wanted the notification to look like junk mail so that most people would throw it away, and they could keep any unclaimed refunds).

I'm thinking the letter to your mom may very well may be legit. However, as others have mentioned...I would simply call the state tax office and verify before doing anything.

10. Dr. Tweedbucket

yeah, who knows what they are up to. The letter doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it seems like they are phishing for info, but I'll whip out the phone book and double check just to be sure.

11. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Dr. Tweedbucket, you are certainly the Skywalkers.

12. cadduc

cadduc Member

I like this one:
    hello, you are being contacted by the irs, you owe us money, do not ignore this message, you must respond, penalties and your appearance before the grand jury are required, you will be jailed until your debt is satisfied ...

this routine goes on and on, and is bogus, but when my 92 year old mom got this message, left five times on her answering machine, she was concerned

13. greenhilander

greenhilander Member

The IRS (States Too) will only do business by regular mail. They will not email or call.

14. lhallam

lhallam Member

I threatened this guy who called me. I was screaming at him at the top of my lungs. I'm no tough guy but I was so pissed I was ready to do him some serious harm and I described in detail what I would do to him if I ever caught him. He backed off when he figured out I wasn't buying it. Maybe he was intimidated by the threats of me calling the authorities but I doubt it.

I have bought one of those aerosol horns and I will deafen the next scumbag who tries it.

15. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

Ha!
    I wish I still had my old Conn Bb Trumpet from High School Stage Band for this EXACT purpose. That sumbitch could wake the dead.

Too bad the phone cannot accurately reproduce the volume and frequencies that aerosol horn can emit.

That would genuinely even the playing field in the epic struggle of Man v. Telemarketer.

EDIT:
    And can someone please answer this: why in the hell in this age of technological wizardry is there not a standard telephone feature to block unwanted numbers from connecting to your home land line?
    One that either functions as an incoming firewall that requires prior "approval or permission", or has a "no call list" feature that can be managed by the phone owner as these nuisance calls come in.

Whenever I work nights, I get abused the next day trying to sleep while these unsolicited assholes call my house starting at 830am onwards.

There was a Tele-zapper or something out at one time, but I think it allowed the number to still connect and ring the phone until someone answered...

Maybe I need to invent a phone with this feature - perhaps there's a fortune to be made.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  16. Dr. Tweedbucket

Luke? :confused:

The force is with me :love:

17. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I work for my state's Department of Revenue, so I know a thing or two about it... ;)

18. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

It is real in Ohio. My Mom had to do it as well. I told her to be cautious and we worked through it. One of my work buddies had to do it as well. You log in at the actual Ohio.gov website I believe.
    http://www.tax.ohio.gov/IdentityTheft-IDQuiz.aspx

19. Dr. Tweedbucket

Hmmm. that's just too weird. It's too bad all these crooks who are afraid to work make life a living hell for the rest of us. :messedup

Thanks.

20. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I had an acct. with ADT security, they would send a lot of junk mail, special offers etc.
    the bill, of course looked totally different they wanted you to be sure it was a bill...

I got a real thin tear sheet letter from them with a very small ADT logo on it, was just about to shitcan it, and my wife told me I should open it...

There was a check inside for $1347...they had been overcharging me for 6 years on the monitoring.
    Called their main number...yes it was legit, took the check to my bank they said it was the real deal...

Felt like an ass because for 5 years after 9-11 I was in charge of 'questioned and Phony Documents' on my job and gave seminars to other LE units, MV, State Govt. Personnel etc.

Got an Fender American Precision Bass, ...$1067 back then, and gave the rest to my wife for saving my ass some major embarrassment.