• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Sorcerer/Nefertiti

Paul Conway

So my Christmas present to me was these two cd's. Scandalously, I'd never heard either.

Nearly perfect. And amazing to think that just a few years later we got the tangential genius of 'In a Silent Way.'

Amazing. Beautiful. Wayne is presently blowing my mind.

OllieDox

Great! Amazing, life changing music for me that emotionally affects me more than any other music I have ever heard. If you haven't heard it already, the outtakes album 'Water Babies' would be the perfect place to go next. 3 brilliant songs from the session after Sorcerer and before Nefertiti, and 2 songs (1 really good, 1 ok) from the Silent Way era.

marvin cobain

yes, great albums. If you don't know it yet, check out The procrastinator, the album of Lee Morgan (with Shorter, Hancock, Bobby Hutcherson, Ron Carter and Billy Higgins). There are two tunes of the best tunes ever written by Shorter (Rio and Dear sir) that seems taken from Nefertiti. Dear Sir in particular is a masterpiece.
If you love Nefertiti, chances are you will love The procrastinator.

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Some of my favorite recordings of all time. Glad you are enjoying them.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
A deep dark movie with lots of Wayne Shorter playing, but not writing (James Newton Howard did the writing):

I found the soundtrack in the cut-out bin for a buck.

jeff_lebowski

Miles really does a lot of amazing things as a band leader through out his whole career. A lot of people dislike much of his later material but people also forget he was a spring board for a lot of amazing musicians and music to come later down the road.

People like Mike Stern, John Scofield, Marcus Miller, Bill Laswell etc.

Paul Conway

I learned about Wayne through Weather Report. Still remember at 12 years old my dad took me to see Weather Report (Zawinul, Shorter, Jaco, Acuna, Badrena). Who opened for them....Al DiMeola! 12 year olds should not be exposed to such amazing awesomeness, it warps their musical mind later :eeks
Wow!

Doing my bit by taking my music-mad nine year old to a Snarky Puppy gig next May. All three of my kids (he's the eldest) love music and especially that band. They can hum a lot of the tunes.

In fact, this speaks to a point I've been certain of for a while: kids don't need to be fed dumbass, dumbed-down music; they can just as easily appreciate sophistication. My kids love (and request) the Puppy, Was (Not Was), Joni, Prince, Calexico, Kanda Bongo Man, Yes (also taking boy to see ARW), Toto, Jayhawks, Paul Simon, King Crimson...etc.

Feed a young mind nourishment and it should flourish.

Jazzandmore

Wow!

Doing my bit by taking my music-mad nine year old to a Snarky Puppy gig next May. All three of my kids (he's the eldest) love music and especially that band. They can hum a lot of the tunes.

In fact, this speaks to a point I've been certain of for a while: kids don't need to be fed dumbass, dumbed-down music; they can just as easily appreciate sophistication. My kids love (and request) the Puppy, Was (Not Was), Joni, Prince, Calexico, Kanda Bongo Man, Yes (also taking boy to see ARW), Toto, Jayhawks, Paul Simon, King Crimson...etc.

So very true. I grew up listening to jazz in my family. I didn't understand the brilliance of Miles or Wayne at 12 per we. But I knew I loved that music and that it spoke to me.

Children should be exposed to music and art other than just what floods the radio and TV and the malls. When their experience is expanded it enriches their experience in life. Doesn't mean they will like all music or art, but they will know that the creative world is bigger than just the commercially viable stuff.

Jazzandmore

Wow!

Wanted to add something based on your comment about "the band". When kids listen to sophisticated music they learn to hear more than just the singer, or the guitarist, or whatever. They learn to hear the whole band playing. They realize the bass player is weaving lines, the drummer is doing interesting things with his left hand, the saxophonist is breathing life into his notes, the pianist is capable of this amazing interplay between right and left hand, etc.

We of course are not saying blues or rock are bad or lesser, or anything snobbish. But the expressive forms are different with jazz and classical because the instrumentation is different, the vocabulary is different and without singing, the music needs to tell the story on its own.

Anyway I'll stop now :) Clearly I am a jazz addict ;)

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member

That's awesome.

Paul Conway

Wanted to add something based on your comment about "the band". When kids listen to sophisticated music they learn to hear more than just the singer, or the guitarist, or whatever. They learn to hear the whole band playing. They realize the bass player is weaving lines, the drummer is doing interesting things with his left hand, the saxophonist is breathing life into his notes, the pianist is capable of this amazing interplay between right and left hand, etc.

We of course are not saying blues or rock are bad or lesser, or anything snobbish. But the expressive forms are different with jazz and classical because the instrumentation is different, the vocabulary is different and without singing, the music needs to tell the story on its own.

Anyway I'll stop now :) Clearly I am a jazz addict ;)
That's bang on. My son has started to notice these things. He really likes Larnell Lewis, the drummer.

We will all sit and actively listen together, and talk about what's going on a little.

We were listening to Jethro Tull the other day, and he mentioned about how one instrument started the melody and another finished it.

The point about other art media is well taken, BTW.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Incredible tune writer & innovative world class musician...
Very rare combo ...

Don't forget that Wayne has done some some very cool collaboration work with Santana

Trending Topics

Top Bottom