Sorry, but I'm digging the V30s!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imjustadrummer, Jan 7, 2008.

1. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

I just picked up a Mesa Vertical Rectifier cab with 2 V30 Celestions...

Whoa! I knew speakers made a difference as I've tried plenty in the last 2 years...
    G12H30,
    Emi Wizard
    G12-65
    GBs
    V30
    Emi Black Powder
    Mesa/Celestion 90s
    Mesa/Eminence Black Shadow 150W
    etc...

The V30 is the first to really get my Mark II into the crunch territory I have been looking for. They also lend a great, clear voice for expressive leads that cut well even in a loud band context>>>(Animal on drums).

They ARE NOT as appealing as the G1265 for slightly smoother tones/lead tones/cleans. I even liked the MC90s better for smooth lead and clean tones. The G12h30 styles are a little hollow to my ears, but great for crunchy and clean tones in their own right, I just didn't bond with the MarkIIC+ and these style speakers.

The V30s are it for tearing it up rhythm and biting leads. They seem to sit well in a rehearsal/band setting. Maybe not exactly what I'm looking for in a clean tone, or the perfect creamy lead tone, but for what they do... The Voice of Modern Rock Tone to my ears!!! YMMV?!?
    :RoCkIn

2. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

i love v30s as well my friend, dont feel ashamed because they are the speaker that a lot of peole in these parts love to hate.

now, mix em with the G12M and youll have the best of both worlds.... or, just get some Golds and be done with it :JAM

3. thegame

thegame Member

+ 1 ! I love V30s too. Better yet, Hellatone 60Ls. My favourite speakers all have lots of mids; V30s, GBs, G1265s. Flat or neutral speakers don't do anything for me. I think guitar speakers should add character as the ones that don't (EVs, etc) just sound boring to my ear.

4. rooster

rooster Member

I don't like them, but don't apologize for liking them! All speakers react differently with different amps, so one person's poison is another person's ... um.... Dr. Pepper? You found what you like, so put that "powered by Celestion" badge on your cabinet proudly and make a buncha noise.

rooster.

5. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Yeah but you're just a drummer!!

:p

6. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

7. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Love V30s . Over half my cabs(which are many) are V30 loaded or a mix of V30s and GBs.

8. rooster

rooster Member

Umm. No. Wish I was at times, though, lots more gigs.

rooster.

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Hey, somebody's got to love them or they wouldn't make them.

If I owned a bunch of cabs, I'm sure there would be a V30 in there somewhere. But they are not my first choice. I'll take the clarity and balance of a Heritage G12-65 any day.

10. gregc

gregc Member

Don't you be so sorry! I don't like em at all, but good for you!

11. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

My bad, I meant the OP, at least that's what his username suggests. (I'm a better drummer than guitar too!!):D

12. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I have one cab with gb's and one with v30/g12h30. There isn't much of a volume difference between the two cabs. Some, but not enough to bother me.

13. konstantine

konstantine Member

so you went for the vertical!!

glad you like it!! I love mine (with V30s) too!!

konstantine

14. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

love the V30, great clarity and crunchy breakup. It's no smooth jazz speaker, it's 100% rock!

15. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It's true that they're probably picked by a lot of amp companies because of the 'demo factor' - they sound louder, more present and aggressive than most other speakers on the shop floor, so they help sell amps - but they certainly aren't as bad as you'll often hear around here :).

It's very true that there are some amps they don't really get along with (including some that have them fitted as stock) but for some, they're perfect.

I don't like one mixed with a G12M-25 in a side-by-side 2x12" - the cab sounds twisted towards the V30 side to me - but the actual tone combination sounds fine, and they should work well in a 4x12", probably with the 25s at the top so you hear their richness more and avoid the upper-mid beam of the V30s pointing up at you if it's an angled cab. I haven't actually tried it, but I like 25s and G12H-30s mixed like that.

That said, at a gig I played last year with my Mesa with V30s, I had to have the amp up at near head height for stage space reasons, and the V30s still didn't sound harsh even though they were right behind me. Those particular ones are very well broken-in though.

16. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

I've never understood the hate for V30s. While they may not be the speaker-of-choice for a tweed-style amp, for most applications they're great. Les Paul ---> Marshall w/V30s is a pretty darn good rock tone, imho.

17. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Yeah that sounds pretty good; but they suck at cleans. I'm telling you guys, play a G12-65 for 2 weeks (clean and dirty) then go back to V30's. It's like night and day as far as clarity and openness. You don't know how bad they are until you really get to spend time with a better speaker. But, for those who love them...carry on, carry on.

18. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

I have never liked any of the other speakers I tried. I have a Hellatone 60 in my Budda right now and it blows away the budda speaker that was in there.

I don't know what it is but every other speaker made my guitar dissapear in the mix.

19. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

lol!

the only wise one here... realizing this is a drummer's posting!?!
    :crazyguy

But, seriously, nailing down guitar tone has been a SEVERAL YEAR FRIGGIN' PROCESS!!!!

you just beat the drums, but soooo much about guitar is based on interacting variables... not to mention developing playing technique!

Jamison:

my next job is to wire in the G1265 to the top position in this cab and I think I will finally have arrived! I'll post impressions as soon as I accomplish this...

20. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i really like the way a well broken-in V30 sounds...