Sorry for another Mark V 25 thread, question about master volume/playing at home

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lawliet, May 15, 2015.

1. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Hey everyone, sorry to make another Mark V 25 thread but looking for input from current and past Mark V 25 head owners. I've read that the mark V 25 can do great high gain tones at low volumes, and I've also read this amp gets loud real fast. I am a bedroom player but that doesn't mean I always play super quiet, my ears stop me from playing loud enough for the neighbors to hear and I want to keep my hearing so I don't blast my amps. For those who play at home with the Mark V 25, where do you usually have your Master Volume set, and for what mode? I came across this thread (I don't know if I shouldn't post threads from other forums :/ )

http://www.marshallforum.com/other-amps/78474-thinking-selling-my-jvm-1-mesa-mark-five-25-a.html

and further down someone says the Mark V 25 and rectoverb would benefit from a Master volume like the big Mark V. Are they referring to the Output knob? Or is the Master knob on the Mark V 25 not 'good'? Confused as I'm looking at this amp but if its a crazy loud beast that has to have the master on 0.5 or 1 then maybe I should go for something more tame...

Thanks for any help!

2. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I've got one. I think the master volume works great. I play at home at reasonable volume with no issues. It also has a 1/2 power switch.

Keep in mind that no amp will get the speaker breakup and compression you get from pushing speakers with volume. That's just the way it is. But I find the V 25 very controllable at low volumes.

3. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Thanks jklotz, where is your master volume usually set to when you're playing the mark?

4. DRS

DRS Member

For home, the Ch 1clean and fat master volume is up maybe to 8 oclock. On Ch 2 gain settings (I am a low gain guy), about the same. It works really well.

Now, crunch on Ch1 is a different story. Even on low gain settings (9-10 oclock), I barely crack the MV. The 10w setting helps. Still sounds decent but not the glorious tone at louder settings.

I am going to experiment with the Cab Clone into a power amp into my studio monitors this weekend.

5. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I'm a lot like DRS in terms of settings. I'm not a high gain player either. I typically use the eq for a mid scooped sound, 25 watt mode for cleans, master around 6 or 8.

in the gain channel, or crunch, the 10 watt mode has a different character than the 25 watt modes. I go back and forth with which I like better, but the master is good enough that I have no issues in crunch, with plexi type "low gain" in 25 watt at bedroom volumes. It's very open sounding like that, which I dig.

Hope this helps

6. somedude

somedude Member

Channel masters on a Mesa tend to be really touchy at the lowest volume settings. Depending on the amp, it might be silent at 8:00 and shaking the walls by 9:00, and you're nudging the knob in tiny increments trying to find your sweet spot. It's not a V:25 specific thing, every Mesa I've owned is like this when the master output is bypassed/absent and the channel masters are your only method of control.

The master output knobs aren't as sensitive. I think it's because the signal they handle isn't as hot as it is at the channel master. You can sweep around at low volumes without the sudden jumps. I assume Mesa left it off on the V:25 because it's extra circuitry that's really not needed.

It's funny in a way... Everyone complains that Mesa's have too many knobs, then when they find a way to remove one or two people complain that it doesn't have enough knobs.

Anyway, I can get 100w Mesas down to bedroom volumes using the channel masters, so I'm pretty sure most people should be able to cope with 25w.

7. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Thanks guys! I just wanna know if this is the kind of amp that when the master is above 2 or 3 your ears start to bleed. I have an Orange OR15 right now and when using dirt tones, the volume jump from 2-3 is deadly.

8. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Aaaaand since just wondering... is there an amp similar to the mark v 25 in terms of versatility/ quality but cheaper or less powerful?

9. reade

reade Member

I sincerely doubt that.

10. DRS

DRS Member

Fender Supersonic 22
    Fender Mustang IIIv2.

Still, not really in the same class.

If it were me, I'd grab the Mustang IIIv2 used for $200 and save my money and then sell the MIII for $200 and get a MkV25.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  11. mitchanator

mitchanator Member

At home i like to use the cab clone to plug in my mixer into rokit 5. Sounds great at realy low volume. Of course it doesn't sound as good as cranking the amp through a real guitar cab, but it still sound great.

12. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I'm telling you, maybe I got a "defective" one, but the master on my V 25 is not touchy at all. Works exactly as I'd want for it to, from barely audible to shaking the walls. Probably the best master volume I've had on any amp.

13. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Thanks for the responses guys!

14. beneharris

beneharris Member

This is the loudest I can get mine in my house without turning my brain to mush through a 2x12. Thats on Crunch, and the IIC+ modes.

[​IMG]

15. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Closest thing I know of (and not really all that close) would be the H&K TubeMeister 18 or 36.

16. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

The answer to your question OP will be highly variable depending on cabinet and efficiency of the speakers in them.

Mine does NOT radically "jump" when adjusting the master volume, I think it has a very smooth taper. Yes there's plenty of room in the Master's lower ranges for bedroom playing. Seriously. Although he's beware of switching to either of the third modes as they do jump up in volume significantly. The Crunch mode is more sensitive to lower Master Volume changes and is quite loud.

Also - concerning the whole "extra masters (i.e. Global Outputs)" on Mesa's bigger amps... they don't help tone. Their purpose is so you can leave your channels balanced the way you have them and be able to turn the amp as a whole quieter or louder, period.
    There's really not a tonal advantage of having those pushed up or down and Masters vice versa. It's a myth. I talked to Mesa/Boogie directly about this and they gave me the answer I just gave you.

17. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Thanks this is really helpful. I'm surprised the clean channel isn't turned up more!

18. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

I have thought about trying one a again. The one time I tried a tube meister it was the 18 with the 10 inch combo. I was looking for a bigger sound then but with a good cab it will probably sound really nice

19. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

I just bought a widebody open back c90 cab in 'preparation' of hopefully getting a mini mark head haha. I'm glad to hear it can get the bedroom tones. But by bedroom tones I don't mean play quiet enough not to bother people in the next room I just mean me playing by myself and not making myself deff!

20. beneharris

beneharris Member

Its because that is the crunch channel. Its about infinity times louder than the clean or fat modes.