Sorry For Another Pedalboard Question But Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I've asked a couple of times myself and there have been countless posts on the forum about pedalboards but I call upon all ye wise ones. I currently have a Pedaltrain2 with the ATA case and since my thrist for pedals has really been increasing, I'm just about out of room. I just bought a new pedal last night, gonna have to slap it on top of my Voodoo Labs PP2 for now. I need to go bigger obviously so I've been checking out the many offerings NYC, Pumaboards, Trailer Trash, Pedal Pad and the Pedaltrain Pro. I'm winding down on purchases but I forsee an Axess BS2 in my future and I do have one small spot left on the Pedaltrain2 to fit it that wouldn't work for an effect pedal but is fine for something that doesn't need to be accessed. Thoughts of a Carl Martin Combinator or even that midi switching unit Scott Peterson has are dancing in front of my eyes for the future so a bigger board would be necessary at that point. The one item that is limiting me is my ZVex Trem Probe. I love this pedal too much to get rid of it for a standard volume pedal and I want it to stay on the pedalboard. What's limiting is a pedalboard with too high of a front lip doesn't allow me to anchor my heel on the ground to use it, I have to float my foot over it. I do this now with the Pedaltrain. When I had less pedals, I actually set it up so that there was a blank space at the bottom of the board for me to anchor my heel on. That space is long gone. I used to have a Furman board and it was practically flat to the ground but I moved away from that board for many reasons and don't want to go back, I don't want any completely flat pedalboard unless it's provisioned with a second tier (like NYC), I like the angled boards for easy acess to all pedals. So here's what I've found so far with pros and cons:

NYC Pedalboards - I love the looks of the board, like the second tier concept, very well priced. What I'd miss out on is extra storage space/storage pocket for cables, batteries, ty-wraps, etc. Plus looks like it would get damn heavy with all of my pedals on it.

Trailer Trash - Awesome looking boards but very pricey. The big turnoff for me is the high front lip, never would be able to use my Trem Probe the way I want, it would actually be worse than it is now.

Pumaboards - I love these boards too but same problem as the Trailer Trash as far as the Trem Probe acess. Great price point though and awesome craftmanship by one of our own.

Pedal Pad - Same problem as the NYC (I think) plus it looks like it has a much higher front lip and I don't need the power supply.

Pedaltrain Pro - I think this might be the way to go. It's wider and deeper, I'd get one with the soft case, I'm finding I don't need the ATA case and the soft case has storage pouches. I'd still have the same problem I have now with the Trem Probe but with all the extra room, I could setup a blank space again for my foot to anchor on to.

Anything else I'm not thinking of? It makes it difficult but I don't want to dump the Trem Probe and I don't want to move it off of my board.

2. lanervoza

lanervoza Member

next time i invest in a pedalboard or two, it'll be a pedaltrain pro with softcase. I feel it's the most versatile/effective for the money

3. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

Why not bring a block of wood with you to anchor your foot on? Then the front lip height ceases to be a problem, no?

4. braughwd

braughwd Member

I think its time for you to plan out and BYOPB.

5. Josh O

Josh O Member

I have thought about the block of wood idea, my luck my clutsy ass will trip over it.

The thought of BYOPB has crossed my mind but me woodworking skills aren't the best and I really don't have the time to dedicate to doing it. Could be a fun project though, lots of ideas on this forum to make a sweet one for sure.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

For value and flexibility, it's hard to beat the Pedaltrain Pro...I'm the same as you....have no need for the ATA case, so the soft option is a good one. The weight is a factor too with a board that size.

One thing I haven't seen folks do much is to use those velcro straps for the cables instead of installing and cutting tie wraps again and again.

7. pepperco

pepperco Member

I had / have the same concern of a High Front edge,
    I find it hard to nurse my volume pedal it it is too high,
    Plus I prefer to not have to lift my heal off the ground
    to get to my front row of pedals.

The solution for me was to build my own, out of 5/8
    inch pine. very low front profile. Painted it black, put
    some aluminum edging on it. Home made / cheap.
    Almost looks "pro" too. Got to pick my size, and made
    it to fit in a 49 key, keyboard gig bag. If you have
    specific size or profile requirements its good to build
    your own. It may take a couple of trys to get it right.

8. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

One thing you might try is the Boneyard by Radial

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-boneyard.htm

I've been using one and it work great. The good thing about it is that since it is on an angle you can mount things underneath it and make more room for pedals on top. Currently Underneath the board I have a power strip, direct box, BS2, Pedal Power2 and stereo splitter. All stuff I do not need to access.

Then on the top of the board I have a Ground Control (older model), 2 EB volume pedals, Vox wha, Phase 90, Wylde od, PW pedal tuner and Rocktron Banshee. It works out great, If I had all that on top my board would be HUGE...Check it out

9. wpod

wpod Member

Kevin from PumaBoards is very easy to deal with...just communicate your needs and I'm sure he will hook you up with what you want...Oh and I think he offers a pointer to ATA roadcases:JAM

10. Python

Python Member

You may want to consider a board made by Rockin' Columbia. I just got one and am very happy with it. The construction is great, their customer support is excellent and the price is amazing ...

http://www.rockincolumbia.com/

11. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I saw this thread and checked out pumaboards.com... they were exactly what I was looking for so I just put my order in!

12. Josh O

Josh O Member

I forgot all about that one, I actually like the looks of it better than I do the Pedaltrain Pro.

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I bought a $60 hard-case (not really ATA-grade) pedalboard/lid on eBay with a PP2, but also have the Furman board which might help you.