Sorry Helix I tried....

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Judge Smails, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

This is the main reason I decided to give the Helix a try. Very glad I did! I’ve not played this much in years, and I 100% paid for it and the incoming Xitone powered cab by canceling some expensive pedal preorders and selling a few things I already had on hand and wasn’t using!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    MIJLOVER and aleclee like this.
  2. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Yeah, me too. Yesterday I picked the Bassman amp model in Helix and a Tweed ir and just played until I had to get to bed. The sounds makes it very hard for me to tweak and test out the different possibilities in Helix, because as soon as I have put a few things in the patch it already sounds ace, and I can enjoy the sounds at much more controlled volumes than with my previous tube rig. :)

3. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Yeah i found the "factory" setting is good enough for me
    Very little tweaking is needed to get the tone i want
    Except for some of the delays and some other effects where they sort of set it to a extreme setting..
    On the amps i just do some EQ tweaking to make it sound good in my room sometimes i dont even have to touch those sliders
    And then i turn down sag/hum/ripple to 0 and maybe tweak the bias/biasx very little to find the sweet spot.
    And i always put a HP/LP block after the IR
    Lately i been experimenting with input impedance i usually use 22 or 32 that take away some of the brightness.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  4. gregrjones

gregrjones Member

I think of the Headrush to the Helix/Ax8 being like the Ipad is to the standard computer. An Ipad is easier to use & the standard computer is more powerful.

I'd suggest the Headrush if simplicity is your game.....

And although i'm getting the impression that Gearpage is heavily tilted towards Helix, to me the AX8 is at the top of the game for tones out of a pedalbaord footprint, however it is NOT simple to use.....

Judge Smails likes this.
  5. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I think it's less that TGP D&M forum is "tilted towards Helix" than it is that Helix has been a huge success in just two years. Since they've sold well over 20,000 of them between the Floor, Rack, LT and Native, it only stands to reason that it would garner a good bit of attention and praise here.

The AX8 is absolutely a great sounding piece of kit that I enjoyed having for a bit, but beyond the limited quantities at launch and the subsequent price drops - there's just not anywhere near the same sort of excitement. It's just another iteration of the well-known Fractal engine that's been developed since 2006 or so. That platform has matured and hasn't gotten much in the way of new content in the past year or two.

Also remember that the AX8 drifts in and out of stock (appears to be out of stock after the last price drop). Having no new customers for extended periods would definitely mute conversation about it.

Cool Hand Luke likes this.
  6. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

Fractal did add a B7k, better delay(?) and updated power amp modeling very recently. Was an improvement on the already great platform.

7. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

I don’t record with it so that was no factor in my decision. I play live a 4 or 5 times a month and that’s why I chose HR.After hearing the recording of our New Years Eve gig I now know I made the right choice. The HR was made for live players like me and I couldn’t be happier with the sound I got without any Headaches at all. It was a Breese to set up my patches. This week I will tweak them and add a couple new ones. The Amp models sound awesome.

8. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

I would have tried the HR had it been a bit cheaper. If I'm plopping down ~$1K; I'm going to be looking at all the options available. I like a pretty touch screen as much as anyone, but it wouldn't be a main feature drawing me to a product :dunno I'm sure the tones are great but the back of my mind would pretty much be replaying the "you've already had this when it was orange colored" scenario on infinite repeat :anon

Jarrett and mikah912 like this.
  9. markstullkc

markstullkc Member

I 100% disagree that AX8 is not easy to use.

The grid layout is far more intuitive than the two rows for me.

Once I took the time to RTFM, the AX8 is a breeze, even from the green panel.

FracPad connected to an AX8 is way better than editing on the helix itself.

I play live only, so I am always tweaking at the gigs. This was biggest worry moving to the AX8 from the helix, but it turned out to be a none issue.

I believe I create better tones with teh AX8 and not just because it sounds better. I can build a "better rig" with the AX8. The effects are way better. The reverbs and delays are amazing. Maybe I did'nt know what I was doing, but I could never dial in a delay on the helix that was clear, not muddy.

Bottom line is both are excellent products, I just get irked with the conventional wisdom that the helix is easier to dial in.

ucnick likes this.
  10. -Empire

-Empire Member

I literally made a video with this title

That stuff is only necessary if you're trying to recreate a studio-quality mic'd tone direct from the unit, because you're dealing with different cabs, mics, mic placement, compression, etc, all of which you'd deal with in the studio anyway with a real amp+cab+mic setup. If you want to just plug a modeler with the cab modeling disabled into a neutral power amp and guitar cab, it's the same experience as a real amp+cab setup.

The difference with running direct with a modeler is that once you get your mic'd tone set up, you're done forever. With an amp+cab, you have to set up the mics every time your gear moves, and you still have stage volume and bleed issues.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  11. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Well, that's what "the consensus" is, and I happen to strongly agree with it (as a multiple-time firsthand user of both). But that doesn't mean it's objectively true for everyone.

Just like "the consensus" that the AX8 is tonally superior. Don't agree personally. Definitely not true for me, but I realize a good number of people feel otherwise. All one can do is relay their experience and perspective. I don't think it's anything to get worked up over.

Judge Smails likes this.
  12. Michael_V

You were definitely doing something wrong there. Beautiful, beautiful delays on the Helix. I just discovered the *space echo* engine last night. Wow.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    WiresDream and MIJLOVER like this.
  13. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Hmm... There is no Echorec model on the Helix (yet)... Maybe you're talking about the new Space Echo model?

Michael_V likes this.
  14. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Yeah, space echo or echoplex. But I wouldn't mind the Binson :)

Michael_V likes this.
  15. Michael_V

I guess you’re right. Cosmic echo must be space echo. Duh, LOL! The multiple heads threw me off. Still a wonderful sound!

So how about it, Line 6?

:)

MIJLOVER and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  16. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Which was pretty terrible in my view. Particularly when compared to the real pedal, but also when compared to the Helix model.

17. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Jarrett likes this.
  18. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

Quite possibly, I have not tried it :)

19. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

You're Alex.Guitars?

If so your videos were a factor in my deciding to get a Helix LT..

20. -Empire

-Empire Member

Yep. Glad my videos helped you.