Sorry Helix I tried....

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Judge Smails, Dec 29, 2017.

1. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

No denying that we all do. But I came mostly looking to see whether this person had my experience (the "I'm not crazy" factor), and with luck, what he looked at next (the "what might work for me" factor). Since we felt the same way about one product, maybe this thread would yield insights about where he went next.
    Sure, but your paragraph above is exactly what I described - requiring someone to justify their preference. You called his personal preference "ridiculous" just now, man. You're projecting an expectation for others to agree on him. He expressed no expectation. He didn't even say "amiright?" And then the thread developed into implying that if someone doesn't like the Helix and finds it to be unduly time consuming or distracting, then there's something wrong with them. After all, how can they have time to post here, if they claim they don't have time to 'learn a modeler?'

And again, I did say the Helix interface wasn't for me, and I was immediately asked whether I like something more "limited" or "traditional" instead. :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Quoted for truth. I was very skeptical when HX was announced based on my history owning Line 6 modeling products. It's not that they were bad but they were not sufficiently satisfying that I kept them long-term.

I think that one of the major differences between HX and its predecessors is that HX is more a platform than a point release product. Not only is that a prerequisite for a product at Helix' price point, it enables the product to evolve in response to user feedback in a way that's not feasible for products that are viewed as "complete" at release. Look at the features added between 1.0 and 2.3: in the past, those additions might've been a new generation of product. With HX, those changes get to market faster (because there's no new hardware associated with them) and generate good will among existing customers.

9fingers likes this.
  3. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

You’re making it more than it is. I loved the Helix tones but not the workflow.I didn’t want to put in MORE hours of that so I swapped for a HR. I find it much more pleasant to work with and got great tones already. Some of the Helix guys got all offended and started with the backhanded comments. Headrush works better for me so far and it sounds just as good. Everyone is different and I have no Horse in this race.The modeling is so good now that we should be thankful to these companies for giving us great choices.Remember, Its just a piece of gear.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Rocco Crocco, MIJLOVER and IAm MI like this.
  4. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

the "justify" thing is in the openening post of this thread, everything else is just a consequence.

;)

Jabberwocky likes this.
  5. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Yes, IMHO it's not hard learning snapshots. It's so easy that the thought is ridiculous TO ME. Am I not allowed to have that opinion?

I don't think there's anything wrong with him. Only that he wished to go with something else that's fits him better. Doesn't make Helix easier or harder to use. Some people gravitate towards different things. Remember that some of us bought Helix when many thought it sounded awful / bad or not even remotely in the neighborhood of other modelers and the profiler (some still feel this is true). I didn't agree with them, but who am I not to accept that they have an opinion that differs from mine?
    Now, two years after I bought it, many have too and the generel vine I get is that many are pleased with Helix. But I didn't sell mine in the two years that had passed because people were criticizing it. I knew it sounded as good as my old tube rig (for me) and did a lot of other things that the tube rig didn't. Even Line 6 welcomes constructive criticism so they can improve.

So I'm not against criticism and I apologise to you and the OP. Didn't mean to offend you, we just see the world differently. :)

6. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

Yeah, good point, both on the trust and on the difference between what you appropriately term a platform and a point release.

I had two less than satisfying experiences with past Line6 products, both of which had much more of a "point release" feel, and one of which felt hamstrung (DT25) because I didn't use it with other Line6 products. That said, I still at least look at everything they come out with, because they're as significant as any "big" (relatively speaking - none of them are all that big) gear company. The Helix does seem to be different, but it's more than I need in a modeler, and much more than I want in a floor unit. I'd be more likely to get the plug-in, but I don't use plug-ins enough to justify the cost, at least not yet.

Still, it could be the basis for a future product that is more my style.

MIJLOVER and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  7. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

You are. But you can understand how it comes across as requiring he justify himself, and concluding that there's something wrong with him...just because he didn't like what you like. Unless...
    OK. Easier/harder to use is not a universal in any case. It's easy for you. It's harder (or perhaps more to the point, less enjoyable/natural) for others. I can see you get that now.
    I did not realize this. So it improved with updates. Well that must be nice, particularly if you got one early.
    Agreed!
    Fair enough. And no personal offense taken. It was more of a "what's the deal?" than a "how dare you," and now I know and understand the deal. Thanks, and have a happy New Year.

MIJLOVER and Moe45673 like this.
  8. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Thank you sir and yes we are happier...but this team is never satisfied and to be truly successful and innovative I don’t think you can ever be satisfied. 2018 is going to ROCK for Helix and the Helix platform.

MusicLaw, DenHugo, mikah912 and 6 others like this.
  9. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

Lol

10. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Wow can’t believe I forgot that one :)

Edit to add: we totally deserved that skepticism. We charged for metal packs on the HD series and while that product is in a different league (still an awesome performer) it was the only point of reference customers had with us. I hope the skepticism around us charging for Helix updates has gone away but to Aleclee’s point getting customer trust back is a very difficult task.

11. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

I am a nobody but Surprise Me, please.

Frank Ritchotte likes this.
  12. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

This thread is getting better and better.. Must microwave butter lover's popcorn..

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Agreed! I like this thread because it appears that the True Believers and the Ignorant Masses are actually having a dialogue!
    :fisticuffs
    :hide
    :sarcasm
    :stir
    :rockin

14. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Maybe it was easier for me because Line 6 has been part of my life since I was 18 (wow!!) but seeing capacitive footswitches and scribble strips on the unit when it launched basically won me over. I'm an easy lay!!

LordByron and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  15. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

That acknowledgment is the first step, though, so you've got that going for you for sure. Many companies deny that they need to win back trust, so they never get there. Good for you for seeing the past from the prospective customer's perspective.

LordByron likes this.
  16. Husky

Husky Member

I find the Kemper easy, just download Michael Britt’s profiles and I was ready to play.

17. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

Surprised that no one got nasty here. TGP maturing perhaps? Just stay away from that pub though.lol

LordByron, Moe45673 and IAm MI like this.
  18. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Well, it isn’t a competition, is it? If I could afford it, I’d have a bunch of these modelers in my home just like I’d like a bunch of different amps and a bunch of different guitars and a bunch of different pedals! More colors with which to paint!

LordByron, IAm MI and Judge Smails like this.
  19. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Ha ha.. .yes. Buy when I try to visualize me as a musical "painter", Bob Ross comes to mind... I have WAY too many "happy little accidents"!!

Michael_V and LordByron like this.
  20. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

It took me half a century to learn that all of my experiences and beliefs form such strong filters between my senses and my brain that it significantly changes my perceptions. No two of us even see or hear things the same. We like to think "it is real" because I can see it/hear it. That leaves out the huge change the data goes through from the senses to the brain, unbeknownst to many people.
    So, while I love the Helix, I also realize that I perceive it through heavy filters, while others perceive/prefer other gear because they perceive differently, sometimes very differently.
    It makes it much easier to not have to be "right" all the time. We can all be "right" for ourselves.

Cenzo, Judge Smails, guitrr and 11 others like this.