Sorry Helix I tried....

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Judge Smails, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Member

Mostly, I think the most important thing, maybe only important one, is that we're psyched when we play. That's what audiences react to, much more than nuances of tone.

2. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

I also would like some elaboration if possible. Maybe some hints if it's a big secret. I am sure that some it has to do with future FW updates..

3. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Reverbs coming soon seems to excite a lot of folks

LordByron and MIJLOVER like this.
  4. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

The next firmware will probably please a lot of people. Comets will fly overhead!

5. barzi2001

barzi2001 Member

I had the same problem with the POD. I was not playing anymore, but tweaking all the time.

Then, I discovered the Tech21 Flyrig5 and I came back in playing music.

6. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

Headrush Update:
    New Year’s Eve gig last night my cover band did a 2 hr set and I used the Headrush the sound man loved it and was happy to run FOH. The unit preformed flawlessly I basically had 3 patches set up. Clean with effects
    Fender tweed
    Mesa clean , crunch, dirt , and High gain.
    I found the Gapless patch switching a nice asset on a few occasions switching between patches in a couple songs. My only gripe was not bringing my FRFR speaker to run as a wedge behind me.I downloaded a couple IRs and used them as well. So I guess I’m sold on the HR being the unit for me.Several compliments on the sound , quick setup, easy to use and the Mesa rig sounded especially awesome.

gigs, Tmidiman, ucnick and 9 others like this.
  7. mikah912

mikah912 Member

That's what's up. Glad you found what works for you.

MIJLOVER, Judge Smails and Moe45673 like this.
  8. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Member

This

Judge Smails likes this.
  9. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I ran sound for a band a few weeks ago and the guitar played used a Helix. He said it was his first time using it at a gig. He usually uses a Friedman BE100.
    His tone was amazing. Completely sold me on looking into getting one someday.

10. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

It's so funny. Had someone said this to me only a some years ago, I would have laughed on the inside. Now, I have no doubt that Helix (and other top modelers) sound that good (and do it consistently!) :)

11. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I played a NYE gig last night with my Boss ME-80. I only use 3 effects so , I don't need much. Party crowd kept asking for ,,,,,,Mustang Sally. 45 yrs later I'm still playing that song.

12. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

Ow... been there... :barf

13. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

I use 6 presets for four hours of cover tunes, I really don't need any more than that for the stuff that we play.

Tmidiman and Judge Smails like this.
  14. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

That's when I knew I was onto something back in 2008 or 2009. When I'd soundcheck the Axe-FX, soundmen would come walking from the booth and be like, "What is that thing? It sounds phenomenal out front." Never had that happen with a new amp :)

MIJLOVER likes this.
  15. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

I plugged into an amp and came to the realization that THIS is how it should be. What I mean is that I should be able to plug in and with a quick turn of a few tone knobs be dialed in. If I need a bunch of EQ, speaker cab, and bias adjustment changes I’m going to the wrong direction.

Now I’m not saying I’m against digital gear, in fact I use it all the time. But if you need to spend hours to get a decent tone, if I can’t just plug in and get going, if somebody says you gotta take it home first to get it to sound good,...well I call BS. Real amps don’t work that way, none of my gear does.

Judge Smails likes this.
  16. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I get what you're saying to a point, but even if I plug into a random tube amp at Guitar Center, it doesn't usually sound amazing off the bat. I can get it sounding decent quickly, but it's not like I often get to a place of, "oh, this is amazing!". Actually, usually what happens is I play through an amp for a few minutes and am like, "why am I wasting my time doing this? I have a bunch of stuff at home that sounds way better than this!"

As far as the Helix, I can create a usable base tone pretty quickly. It really depends on what I'm looking for. A lot of it simply comes down to learning what settings you like in the various models, and learning what reacts well with what.

But if you think that simplicity means automatic happiness, just spend a few minutes in the effects forum to see how wrong that assumption is. Guys go through dozens of ODs, distortions, and fuzzes to find the one that's just right... (and even that only last a few weeks normally). The problem is the gear. It's the compulsions of the people playing it.

MIJLOVER and mikah912 like this.
  17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Quoted for truth. Show me someone who's thrilled with his "plug & play" rig and you're likely pointing at a guy who went through thousands of dollars of gear and hundreds of hours trying / modding amps, swapping speakers, pedals, tubes, or pickups. Buying a digital device and spending a few weeks of "music time" wrapping my head around it seems like a bargain in comparison.

gigs, -Empire, creative360 and 4 others like this.
  18. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

I’m thinking I only need 6 or 7 Patches for my band too. Can I ask what yours are and what music your band plays?

19. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I'm new to the Helix but TBBH, it's super easy to get a good tone out of it.

Into an amp FX return (I have three amps and they are all the same), I dial up a boost and a sim, add some delay and 'bang' have a good sound. It's as simple as an amp and this has been a revelation for me personally coming from all the other L6 products I've owned (POD 1, X3L, UX2, HD500's).

Into headphones, it's exactly the same except I pick a decent IR. I just picked a random IR and it was easy.

It was easy to work everything out including 4CM. I haven't bothered with snapshots as the delay between patches is so low that I don't really care. Haven't even cracked the manual. Took a few hours to get everything setup like this. This is the reason I went Helix rather than AX8. I honestly don't care if the AX8 sounds 15% better. Ease of use via the devices interface is important and the Helix is very intuitive. Oh yeah, the tuner works great. Not sure why there is angst about the tuner.

Overall, I am getting very solid tones from the unit and am very impressed overall. It's exactly how I expected it to be TBH. Not better or worse but how I expected it going by all the feedback. How refreshing.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  20. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Effects forum, I’ll pass in this regard. I’ve never been a “constant searcher”. I always knew what clean and dirt Tone I wanted, bought what I needed, moved on. But everyone is different, I get that.

I don’t care for Marshalls or Fender, as in that’s not my tonal direction. But if I plug into one I can turn some controls and have the feeling that it sounds like a good Marshall or Fender. I never think,”OMG I need a 50 band EQ to get this to sound like a decent Fender or Marshall.” But that’s just me too. I’m the same with guitars. If I pick up a guitar and think it will be great once I buy a new neck, get new pickups and change the electronics,...you get the idea. But I’m sure there are folks who roll that way too.

Everyone uses the method that works for them. I love the flexibility digital modeling brings to the table. Never take those options away. But if I personally ever get the idea that something needs a bunch of things done or hours of tweaking before I can get a basic good tone,...NO.

Moe45673 likes this.