Sorry two questions : which chorus to get and the original SANSAMP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am really in the dark about what Chorus is the one to get. I never had one, just used them YEARS ago at a friends etc and though it was nice. I would like to use it clean or dirty.

Has anyone tried the original SANSAMP ? Does it compare to anything out today? Is it basically a distortion box?

2. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

The Sansamp PSA-1 is rather unique. It's kind of like a roll-your-own analog amp modeler. You can get a lot of good amp sounds out of one, but it doesn't seem to be the ticket for today's pre-packaged heat and serve type consumers.

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I had an original Sans Amp for a long time, it was my #1 OD pedal, and it beat out all of the booteek pedals for me until the Timmy came around... but it is definately still 'relevant'. If you want 'Marshall in a box', it's right up there with anything else IMHO...

4. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

thanks guys, what about some nice THICK chorus with od or shimmery chorus with the clean amp???? Anyone?

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I use my original Sansamps in 3 ways:
    1. As a backup-when my amp blew up last summer, I plugged into the Sansamp on a clean, vintage setting and ran direct to the board-lots of complements on my sound.
    2. As a direct recording device-from clean, thru crunch, to high gain and liquid leads it's all in there. Although the "Marshall Crunch" isn't as good as a real amp the other sounds are killer.
    3. As an overdrive-one of just 7 OD pedals that sounded good running into the AC30 that I installed at church. Sadly, the Timmy wasn't on the list (too harsh in that context).

6. Grady

Grady Windjammer Gold Supporting Member

Maxon CS-9 Pro

7. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

DLS Chorus-Vib

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I'll go against the grain here georgeandleo and recommend getting a cheap chorus pedal to see if it is your thing before you drop the big bucks on a pedal that you may use rarely if ever. I would recommend an old Ibanez CS-9. It is a good sounding, simple chorus that is readily available on eBay for under $100. If the chorus thing grows on you, then you can spend your way through the list of higher priced units (Choralfange - Retrosonic - Maxon CS-9 Pro - Analogman - TC electronics - etc.) Any of these units will cost you at least $200 used, and around $300 new.

Of course if you are independently wealthy, get them all and have a massive chorus tone party! Otherwise, my advice is to start out cheap, and work your way up from there. One additional advantage to doing it this way is that, should you decide to move up the chorus food chain later, you will be better equipped to fully appreciate the unit you end up with. This site is filled with guys who had a killer piece of equipment years ago and never appreciated it because they didn't have a good frame of reference to judge it by. I know I could start a music store with the stuff I sold, not understanding how good it was until much later.

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Original Sans amp is a great unit.
    Been using it since it first came out in the late/mid 80's
    I also now use the Tim and Zen drive, but the S.A. still goes out with me.

Tons of audio clips and tunes using the S.A. on my site

Regarding chorus, my persoanl favorite is still the TC

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

10. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

The best chorus for me is an old Boss CE-2 modified by Keeley electronics.
    You can get one on Ebay, make sure it is the Black Label made in Japan. Then contact Robert Keeley at Keeleyelectronics.com and send the pedal for ther mod. The whole thing will probably cost $150.00. Beats any other chorus I've ever heard.

Ahltarocka

11. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

I just got one of the TC Electronic Chorus+ pedals, and I have to agree with Harry. It is one of the best Chorus units I've ever used. Really clean!

I also use it as the "splitter" to create a stereo signal, and run one output to each of my 2 amps. Really widens the sound.

There may be better chorus pedals available, but I'm very happy with my TC Electronic unit.

-jm

12. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

The best choruses that I have found are :

1.TC Electronics- very clean and sparkly-doesn't alter tone

2.Boss CE-1 just incredible- I've got 2- does suck a very little bit of high end tone but not that noticeable

3.Analogman Chorus- very shimmery and sweet

Regards,

Tom
    2005 PRS Modern Eagle Charcoal 20th Ann., 2005 PRS CU24 20th Ann.Artist,toggle switch push/pull- Blue Matteo ;1997 PRS Santana 1 Sunburst ; 1965 SG Special - White ; 1963 Fender Strat- sunburst ; 1964 Gretsch Country Gent-dark walnut ; 2001 Gibson ES-335 - natural ; 2004 Gibson Firebird - white ; 1966 Fender Electric XII ; 1989 Fender Start Plus Deluxe - greyburst ; 2006 Godin LGX-SA 3 voice - Cognac burst ; 2003 Brian Moore i1.13 3 voice - greyburst ; 1969 Fender Tele- Blonde ; 1969 Fender Esquire - Blonde ; 1969 Fender Tele Bass - Blonde ; 2005 Gibson Flying V - white ; 199? Jackson Randy Rhodes V - black ; 199? Peavey Wolfgang - cognac burst ; 200? Gretch Duojet 1957 RI - black w/bigsby ; 2005 Gibson SG Special - black ; 1968 Vox Sidewinder Bass- cherry ; 1965 Silvertone amp-in-case 2pickup - red sparkle ; 1989 Takamine EF360S ; 2004 Taylor 314CE ; 2004 Taylor 814CE ; 197? Bruno Royal Artist acoustic

13. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I owned the Choralflange and while it is a great design have two problems with it. It's too hi-fi sounding and has too many options. It's seems like when I owned it I could never get it set right and if I did and would accidently knock one of the knobs I'd be in big trouble trying to dial in the tone again. I just bought a Analogman mini-chorus and from what I have read this chorus doesn't do everything but what it does do it does it with soul and is easy to set and forget about. If I was to get a cheap pedal I'd do the EH Small Clone, the Analogman is the same thing but built better and a little more flexible. Wish me luck, if I don't like the pedal the upside is I can get what I paid for it.

14. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I really like the frequency modulation option of the TC. much more subtle than chorus
    Also used it as a splitter into 2 amps for stereo.
    Pretty addicting though, I rarely play in mono anymore.

These days I use the Boss SE70, and VF-1 multi processors.
    These 1/2 space units contain most of the Boss / Roland products from years past, including the ultra lush Dimension D "chorus", lush 'verbs, multi taps up the wazzoo etc... Very little that they don't have

HJ