(Sort of) Stupid GZ34/5AR4 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joe Perry, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Is a GZ34 the same as a 5AR4 sort of like preamp tubes how a 12AX7 is the same as a ECC83S? If it matters, I'll be using two 6L6's.

Thanks,

Joe

2. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

yea, they are basically the same. they have a different sag to them (as rectifiers go), but one can replace the other.

for what it is worth, i like the GZ34 from Eurotubes. seems to be more reliable than the Sovtek 5AR4 that came stock in my AC30CC. i replaced two Sovteks in a 6 month period, and the GZ34 has been a keeper for a year.

there are some sound differences, but i can't really tell too much.

3. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

The GZ34 and 5AR4 are the same.

MikeY

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    They are EXACTLY the same, some even have BOTH numbers on the same tube.

GZ34 and ECC83 are European EXACT equivalents to 12AX7s and 5AR4s which are the American numbers. There may be tonal differences between some just as there are between 2 12AX7s of different brands.

5. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Thanks guys! I thought so. I've seen them listed online together. I just wasn't sure if one was able to handle more power than the other. I figured I'd ask before I blew up my Komet proto.

Thanks again to all!

6. hogy

hogy Member

Yes Joe, sorry for not replying to your PM. It's the same tube, GZ34 is the European designation, 5AR4 is American. There's a British military designation as well, CV something, escapes me now. Blue Strat will know.

To be precise, most 5AR4s with American brand labels you'll find are Mullard made rebrands. There are also "true", American made 5AR4s that look different. They have a bigger bottle and look like small 6L6s. There are differences in sound, as are between different era Mullard GZ34s, but they all work equally well.

Hogy

7. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Thanks Hogy,
    There already is a 5AR4 in there with the 6V6's. Just threw me for a minute when you replied to use a GZ34 when I mentioned a 5AR4.
    Joe

8. es125luv

es125luv Member

I have had Sovteks go bad on me too... with the JJ's, I have had no problems... but there are some out there that swear by the Sovteks.

I am always really confused on the whole current production rectifier tube thing...

but what choices do we really have? jj's, chinese or sovtek...

9. Jeff West

Jeff West Member

While we're on the topic, the situation is exactly the same for "EL34" and "6CA7", properly used they are separate Euro and N. American system designations for precisely the same tube(s), latter day internet conventional wisdom that "EL34 designates a pentode, whereas a 'true' 6CA7 is an American beam tube", etc. notwithstanding. I guess every year or three I seem to feel compelled to post that, even though it has absolutely zero impact in the community!

CV1377 is at least one applied to 5AR4/GZ34.

10. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Used Mullards are a good buy even though they seem high priced, but after you've replaced several new production tubes you could have bought that old Mullard and it will probably last your lifetime.

MikeY

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Good point. Even at half life, a used Mullard will likely outlast a new production 5AR4 by 10:1 so it's still a bargain.