SOS Article on Guitar Speakers

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by LMO, Feb 13, 2012.

1. LMO

LMO Member

Browsing the February SOS magazine I ran across this article: Understanding and Recording Guitar Speakers (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb12/articles/speakers.htm).

The thrust of the article is that guitar speakers are designed to be non-linear at virtually all volume levels. When impulse responses are used to model speakers, I understood that the underlying assumption is that the speakers are essentially linear. This article seems to indicate that IRs, which are linear, may not do a good job of recreating that response.

Any comments?

2. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Thanks for the link LMO.

3. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Most of the article is wrong, which is par for the course in consumer rags. The most fundamental error - promoted by the person from Celestion - is that "cone breakup" (which is very poorly described by the phrase) is associated with nonlinear behavior.

4. anslinger

anslinger Member

Forgive me if you've addressed this elsewhere, but what is going on with what people describe as "cone breakup?" I think I kind of get your objection to terms like that or "speaker distortion" because that's not what's going on. But I'm not really clear on what is going on.