Soul-bender anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mike@switchback, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Any love for the venerable Soul-Bender? Got one here on the Emp a couple weeks ago. I was kinda digging but a bit lukewarm.

But thank Jeebus I decided to mess with the internal trim (bias?) before throwing it back because I went from lukewarm to basically nailing exactly what I want out of a fuzz by cranking that trimpot all the way down...or up...whichever is the lower-gain/smoother-toned option...

Now I'm a happy boy...

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Good for you.
    I wish more builders would put these types of controls in easily accessed places. I had a Soul Bender for exactly one afternoon. That was enough for me. Wish I had known about the trimpot.

3. mike@switchback

Not only make it more accessible but provide some clue as to what to expect when using that control. If I didn't use batteries I might not have cracked the case to notice the trim pot.

The London Fuzz I sold recently had an external bias knob but I couldn't get to where I was trying to go with that pedal. But the trim pot on the SB has gotten me there, or at least a hell of a lot closer than I've been to date.

4. Deaj

Deaj Member

I like the SoulBender quite a lot! One of my favorite fuzz pedals.

5. fazen

fazen Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our Soul-Bender is based on the legendary Colorsound and Vox Series III ToneBenders made by Sola-Sound/England in the late '60's that was used by Beck and Page on much of their circa 1968-70 recordings. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Equipped with 3 gain-matched germanium transistor for a FAT, searing lead tone, I've improved on the original by adding an internal trimmer[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]allowing you to reshape the distortion from Rich legato sustain [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to bombastic all-out square fuzz. I also made the Tone control response and range more usable and much less shrill sounding...
    Full clockwise is SMOOTH sounding.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Soul-Bender cleans up when you back-off on the guitar's volume control. This pedal has tons of tonal character and even harmonics and of course, true bypass w/ LED is included with every one.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here's a look inside:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.fulltone.com/sb_guts.asp[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Where exactly is the trimpot? Is it that half black disk bottom middle of the picture?
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  6. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I don't know where my internal trim is set because I loved mine right out of the box. I put the tone fully clockwise for the smoothest tone and "dime" everything else... On the bridge p'up on my Strats, I pull a bit of volume off the guitar and "Wow!" Killer fuzz tone that works on stage. You don't have to turn the fuzz and volume all the way up, either. It works without the pedal dimed.

7. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

I'm firmly planted in the "I love my SoulBender" camp. :AOK

8. mike@switchback

With the trim pot all the way CW, it cuts down on the overall fuzz a lot, so I've got the Fuzz knob dimed, and the tone knob about halfway. Into an old Marshall just breaking up a bit...and yeah, now the guitar's volume reacts a lot more like I would have expected it to...

9. mike@switchback

Yeah, the black piece is the trim. Mine was about mid-way, now it's all the way CW (cranked towards the footswitch...) That's how the one in the pic looks - maybe that's how they come from the factory...

10. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I was lukewarm on mine too- sold it after a week or so.

11. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I like mine to do the raspy fuzz thing, which I can't do with a fuzz face or big muff style fuzz. It's not a very versatile fuzz, but does what it's intended to do very well.

13. drolling

drolling Member

There're so many great builders now, the bar has been raised into the stratosphere.. But Mike, who's probably more (in)famous for his *attitude* than for his pedals, has to be one of the great-grandfathers of the *booteek* pedal biz. For that reason alone, I think everybody should have one Fulltone pedal.

And mine's the Soulbender. A no nonsense knockoff of that classic triple germanium fuzz you hear all over Jimmie & Jeff's early recordings.

Today I'd probably agonize over which cloner's "waiting-list" to get on and/or whether or not to PREpay that measly hundred buck upcharge for the cherry-picked N.O.S. trannies.

But I picked up that Soulbender used, for next to nothing. Now I'm kicking myself for not snapping up a 2nd hand '69 before they went out of production. Now they're on the endangered species list, and outa my league, pricewise.

Is the Soulbender also discontinued? Regardless, I'll be keeping mine:dude..

14. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

So CW to the max. gives the smoothest fuzz, and going CCW will make it raspier?

How would the fuzz-flavored MI Audio Blues Pro compare to the Soul Bender's smoothest fuzz setting?