• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Soul Food in the chain...

EwingChi

Need some advice... basically I'm thinking about running it pretty early. I guess the key is whether I should run it before or after compression.

My chain would now be: Wilson colorful clone wah > EQD dreamcrusher > 3leaf Proton > mooer yellow comp > soul food > dano chicken salad > OCD > Crunch Box > Micro Amp > A shitload of modulation that is way too complicated

The thing is that I could clearly use the buffer early on (especially before the Dano buffer), I'm just not sure if I'm already running too many pedals before the buffer. Also, I really like the idea of using the Soul Food as a "juuuuust a bit breaking up" OD rather than a clean boost.

Anyways, I think I could make this work, but does anything here seem completely on the wrong track?

Rhombus

Try it in every combination and see what sounds best or gets what you want out of it... that's the fun part of playing guitar - it's an art and it's completely up to you.

I'm sure someone here can give you theory on buffer usage, so I'll leave that up to them.

You haven't really specified how you're using it in conjunction with the other dirt pedals or what kind of sound you're trying to get out of the whole rig.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
I'm actually having the same dilemma right now. Although, I only tried it first in the chain. When on the SF makes my modulation faster and more prominent in a bad way. I'll switch it around and will report back.

Right now it's SF>FD2>M9>Tuner

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
My chain would now be: Wilson colorful clone wah > EQD dreamcrusher > 3leaf Proton > mooer yellow comp > soul food > dano chicken salad > OCD > Crunch Box > Micro Amp > A shitload of modulation that is way too complicated

Anyways, I think I could make this work, but does anything here seem completely on the wrong track?
This is a very hard set-up to begin with..honestly..you might have to simplify it bit..you would have less headaches.

This is a very hard set-up to begin with..honestly..you might have to simplify it bit..you would have less headaches.
Definitely what I'm thinking on first read. Just too much stuff. If there are any of those that will not be part of the tone you're after (i.e., won't be switched on as part of the sound), then a) remove them from the signal chain for now, and/or b) do not include them for the purposes of this particular conversation. It would make it much easier to make recommendations to you that won't sound like overprocessed mess.

cubistguitar

I like my Soul Food at the end right now. It just made my delays kinda breakup just a little. I did not want that sound, so it works real nice at the end.

I know there are so many flavors of dirt that it hurts to pick 2 or 3, but you have enough to start a new board there. No need for a Soul Food and micro amp, they practically step on one another. OCD and the Crunch box? Pick one. It hurts a lil to do it this way, but you get a better package like this. try the wah>fuzz>filter>OCD>mods>Soul Food.....that dog will hunt.

mdrake34

I run mine first, after my tuner, before my catalinbread amps in boxes, followed by Timmy for solo boost. I swapped the Timmy and SF and didn't care for the SF after my CB pedals, gave them a honky mid range. I used to run the gain pretty high on my CB boxes, but I now run them lower on the gain and boost them with the SF which gives me a higher gain tone with more presence, as well as more volume which you don't typically get from a pre-dirt boost.

Brien

Been running mine as always on with gain at about 8:30 before comp then into other OD. Works really well for me.

Brien,

Compressors are usually placed before any boosts, overdrives, distortions, or fuzzes in order to avoid raising the white noise floor. Is there any particular reason you run your SF in front of your compressor?

TBLebowski

Been running mine as always on with gain at about 8:30 before comp then into other OD. Works really well for me.
Running nine the same way, find it livens up my diamond comp during cleans without distorting, but still fattens my dirt really well...haven't found extra noise this way euther

Brien

Brien,

Compressors are usually placed before any boosts, overdrives, distortions, or fuzzes in order to avoid raising the white noise floor. Is there any particular reason you run your SF in front of your compressor?
Many people prefer comp after OD-I'm not one of them. This is a little different, as I'm not really using the Soul Food for much dirt, and I didn't want to change the gain structure when engaging the comp. Just seems to work better for me.

Many people prefer comp after OD-I'm not one of them. This is a little different, as I'm not really using the Soul Food for much dirt, and I didn't want to change the gain structure when engaging the comp. Just seems to work better for me.
Thank you for answering, but I think perhaps I didn't communicate my question clearly. I'm not really referencing your other overdrive. It seems from this statement above, "Been running mine as always on with gain at about 8:30 before comp then into other OD", that you have the following setup: SF > compressor > other OD.

What I am asking is, since it is common to place compressors before all forms of boost, overdrive, and distortion to minimize the signal chain's noise floor, why would you place the compressor after the Soul Food?

Brien

Thank you for answering, but I think perhaps I didn't communicate my question clearly. I'm not really referencing your other overdrive. It seems from this statement above, "Been running mine as always on with gain at about 8:30 before comp then into other OD", that you have the following setup: SF > compressor > other OD.

What I am asking is, since it is common to place compressors before all forms of boost, overdrive, and distortion to minimize the signal chain's noise floor, why would you place the compressor after the Soul Food?
I simply don't want the comp changing the feel and tone quality of the Soul Food.

EwingChi

Thanks for the input everyone... yes, I think simplifying the drive section of my board is a good idea. I guess I'm prone to overcomplicating things... trust me, if you think my drive section is overdoing it, you should see the convoluted mess that is my mod section :).

Lolaviola

Thanks for the input everyone... yes, I think simplifying the drive section of my board is a good idea. I guess I'm prone to overcomplicating things... trust me, if you think my drive section is overdoing it, you should see the convoluted mess that is my mod section :).
The Soul Food replaces the Micro Amp in my set up.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom