Soul Food or SD-1 for Twin?

kingofrats

Looking for a cheap drive pedal under $75 for my Twin Reverb.

I've heard that SD-1/Tubescreamer-type pedals work well with a clean scooped amp like a Twin, but how about the Soul Food/Klon-type pedals?

I would probably do the C6 mod on the SD-1 for more highs anyways.

tremolo3

Soul Food as an OD sounds like a cranked Twin, not so good. As a boost, I think it's awesome!

And I do love the "Wide Asym" mode (basically, a SD1) on my FD3 with my 68 Twin.

BrianWampler

sd-1 would be a good fit... as far as the c6 mod, I'd honestly say it depend on how bright you run the twin. If it's pretty bright, keep it in, as it will help control some "fizzyness". Alternatively, stick it on a little switch and you can have it as an option ;)

telejb97

I think all the above guys have lost their minds. Soul Food blows the SD1 away. It isn't even close.

The A/B clip is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz4Wwi_dFe0

Listen to how much richer and fatter it is. The SD1 clicks on and
- the strings feel like they're thrust into the background
- the fuzz is hissy
- the signal sounds thin/flat
- it hums a LOT when he ups the drive past noon

To me, the Soul Food sounds fat and juicy. Expressive and dynamic. I know this is all preference, but to me it's a complete no-brainer. Soul Food.

2HBStrat

I have both pedals, and I agree with the other posters here. The SD-1 is a really good OD in the tubescreamer style, and the Soul Food is a good boost. The Twin Reverb is already a loud amp and doesn't need a boost.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I think they're both excellent OD's with a Twin. SD-1 is darker and more compressed, SF is brighter and crisper. Both provide a great dirty mid boost imo (yes, even with the gain turned up)

bluflames

I feel bad posting because I have a mythical overdrive and I've meant to make a clip but haven't. I also have two heavily modded sd-1s and I don't understand the "don't mod it camp" because even a simple monte allums kit does wonders for the sound. Had an analogman modded sd-1 for a while too and IMO that was a sweet sounding pedal. I got a hold of some ma856 diodes and after tweaking the bypass sold the AM because it had a much higher resale value lol.

I actually prefer the MO (soul food equivalent) as an OD and the SD-1 as a boost - the SD-1 has more upper mids and compression so it works really well in that application. Of course ken from rimrock is the man and made my MO with a footswitchable diode swap for a boost so the sd-1 is seeing less and less use but that's neither here nor there.

If I could only get one I would get the soul food because the twin is so loud you'll want something that you can modulate with your volume knob. If it were a lower wattage marshall or something you can get power tube saturation from at stage volumes then sd-1 would work better I think just because of how it's voiced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken374

SF works great as a light OD with my 68 custom twin! clean boost side is good too and the buffer!!

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I think all the above guys have lost their minds. Soul Food blows the SD1 away. It isn't even close.

The A/B clip is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz4Wwi_dFe0

Listen to how much richer and fatter it is. The SD1 clicks on and
- the strings feel like they're thrust into the background
- the fuzz is hissy
- the signal sounds thin/flat
- it hums a LOT when he ups the drive past noon

To me, the Soul Food sounds fat and juicy. Expressive and dynamic. I know this is all preference, but to me it's a complete no-brainer. Soul Food.

You're making such a definitive statement based on a YouTube clip?

bobbyatomic

I also have two heavily modded sd-1s and I don't understand the "don't mod it camp"
Because some people, myself included are perfectly happy with our unmodded SD-1s, it does exactly what I want it to do, as a low gain drive I've never played anything that's come anywhere near to sounding as good. I don't want it to sound brighter, have more gain or sound more like a TS or anything else.
And I understand perfectly why someone would say they're going to mod it without even playing through it, and I imagine it's the same reason some people need to add "Made in Japan" every time they talk about their Boss pedals: Because it's a dirt cheap common pedal that has no street cred and people feel in order to have some kind of imagined credibility they have to pour some bull$hit mojo on it.

Trending Topics