Soul Food vs BD-2

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
BD-2 is an open jangly overdrive. I never got that impression at all from the Soul Food demos I've heard. Like Chris said, totally different animals.

nb2rock

I have both on my board and they are completely different sounding pedals. I prefer the SoulFood as a boost with some added midrange, it's much cleaner and natural sounding than the bd2. The bd2 adds a higher end gain and a bit of sparkle to the sound that the soul food doesn't. Some might say it's thinner sounding because of less midrange hump. I like them both but they definitely don't sound alike

InkStained

I have both. They complete me. Like apples and oranges, they're both nutritious and good sources of vitamins. Your mileage might vary.

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
Maybe it's just me, but I think the BD2 adds some compression that is not on the Soul Food. I should get my JHS modded Soul Food today or tomorrow. I sold a modded Wampler BD2 after an A/B without the JHS mod. With the mod, no contest,to me......

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I like using them together. With both set at the lowest gain settings, the SF adds some focus to your sound, but stays very clean. The BD-2 adds a small amount of compression, and has a little less headroom. As you turn the gain up (to around 9:00), the mids increase on the SF, and the BD-2 starts getting fuller sounding. After the drive is really turned up, the SF acts like an OD, and the BD-2 acts more like a distortion

Trending Topics