Soul food vs klone question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bear Detective, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Alright so I've got a soul food on my little board and I really like it set to clean (drive around 9 o'clock) after my drives always on, makes everything sound much nicer, I'm thinking to get another one for my bigger board and was wondering if there was any significant difference in sound between the soul food and a more proper klone for this application?

I understand the soul food sounds like balls with the drive up but that's not what I'm gonna use the new pedal for at all so that doesn't really matter.

2. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

I had a Mythical Overdrive and a stock Soul Food on my board at the same time. per your post, if you plan on using it strictly for a clean boost, there wasn't a whole lot of difference. I believe there's a bit more low end and low mids in the MO, even at boost settings, but nothing super noticeable until you get the gain past noon. at that point, the MO smoked the SF, but if you don't plan on using it as a standalone drive, you should be fine with the EHX.

3. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Alright cool, thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking was the case.

4. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Not much difference at those settings, and I've compared the SF to a KTR and most of the popular Klones.

5. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

The SF is actually a pretty different circuit than a klon or klone.

With that in mind if you use little to no drive, you won't hear much difference other than in the bass response. If you do use the drive at all, then the Klon or klon will be apparent - I recommend the Mythical Overdrive.

6. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

The JHS-mod for the Soul Food expands the usability of the pedal's drive considerably.

I dig it. And I love the cleanish-boost of the SF as well.

There is one used for $90 in the Emporium I believe.