• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Soultone vs. Fargen

Custom

Silver Supporting Member
I'm kicking around a 30ish watt powerscaled Marshall amp and am interested in both the Fargen Mighty Plex and the Soultone 45ME3. Anyone played both? Any thoughts? I know the Soultone has a switch to go from tube rectifier to solid state. Any other major differences?

tfunster

Gold Supporting Member
I have not played both but I do own the Soultone 45ME3.

Fargens have a great reputation, use quality parts and I hear Mr. Fargen is a stand up guy.

Soultone uses the best parts, is built to the very highest standards and I can speak from first hand experience that Mickey (from Soultone) takes care of his customers.

The 45ME3 also has individual bias test points (not sure if the Fargen does) which is very cool and convenient, and has a tube buffered true-bypassable effects loop which can be used as an additional gain stage as well.

There's lots of great JTM45/Plexi amps out there (I've played three or four), but nothing compares to the Soultone IMHO.

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
I have not played both but I do own the Soultone 45ME3.

<snip>

The 45ME3 also has individual bias test points (not sure if the Fargen does) which is very cool and convenient, and has a tube buffered true-bypassable effects loop which can be used as an additional gain stage as well.
I'm the reverse.

I have the Fargen and have not played the Soultone. The Soultones look great, and I've heard excellent things about Mickey.

Ben Fargen is one of the best guys I've ever dealt with and he stands behind his product 100%. I can't say enough about him or the amp. But you probably know all that since it looks like you have the MP MkII.

I, too, have the Mini Plex MkII, but mine is a custom version with the true-bypassable tube buffered effects loop which can also be used as an additional gain stage (not that this amp needs it). Also, no test points needed on these amps since they need no rebiasing (cathode bias).

I'm assuming you're looking at the Mighty Plex, which if it's anything like its little brother is an amazing amp. I still feel giddy when I play mine; it really is three amps in one with the Decades switch.

Last edited:

Custom

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the input so far. BAN, you're right, I do have the MPMK II. I'm just kicking around something with more horses. The Soultome is considerably more expensive and I'm wondering what the additional dollars buy. Since I can't AB these, I'm really curious to hear from someone who has played through both.

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
Thanks for the input so far. BAN, you're right, I do have the MPMK II. I'm just kicking around something with more horses. The Soultome is considerably more expensive and I'm wondering what the additional dollars buy. Since I can't AB these, I'm really curious to hear from someone who has played through both.
Have you talked to Ben about converting yours to Mighty Plex specs?

dyer_maker

Silver Supporting Member
I have them both, the Mini Plex MKII and the Soultone JTM45PS. Haven't had a chance to compare them however and unfortunately I'll only be keeping one. They both seem like top notch amps regardless.

aaron1433

have to keep reminding myself that after all, these amps are only circuits with a few cap value changes, and slightly different components. Fargen uses top quality stuff and prices them for less with good customer service. The better value wins for me.

Trending Topics