Sound card/mixer question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Misericordiam, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Misericordiam

Misericordiam Member

My question is do I need as many inputs on my sound card as number of different tracks I want to record. That is the only way I can think of that the computer will recognize each seperate channel of the mixer. If there are any other ways let me know ;).

2. Misericordiam

Misericordiam Member

Come on I know someone can give me an answer. Give me a simple yes if I need the same number of inputs as tracks to be recorded or tell me how else it can be done <3

3. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

You need as many inputs as you want to record tracks "at one time". You can have only one input, then record numerous tracks one by one.

4. Misericordiam

Misericordiam Member

Thanks for the response, it looks like I'll be buying a M-Audio delta 44 so I can have a couple tracks of drums. Anyone know if they are any good.

5. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

if you do what I do, which is mix in the analog domain with an analog board wiht multiple inputs live, then I only need 2 inputs on my soundcard, at least for a stereo 2 channel mix.

6. Misericordiam

Misericordiam Member

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean you basically set the levels desired on the mixer before recording so that you are pretty much recording everything onto one or two tracks?

7. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

The levels are now set once coming out of the analog board mains, so you need to be very careful with settings in this mode, you're basically left with mastering after this point on the digital media.